My First Rant - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > My First Rant

Old 02-24-2010, 10:14 PM   #1
slowbie
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Raleigh, NC
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Unfortunately, I am 0% druck at this time, but I decided to post this here because it is my favorite area of HBT. Before I start complaining I would like to make a few things clear:

1) This is probably my favorite website on the internet. The help that you guys provide is great, and whether you realize I'm reading it or not, I'm thankful for everything I've learned from you guys and the good on this site far outweighs the bad.

2) I do realize that I am on this little thing called the internet which makes problems like these unavoidable.

3) This is my first attempt at a rant, and since it's also the first one that I've seen that's started with three disclaimers, it's probably going to be pretty weak.

Okay, let's get this going. Why is it that when people post a topic like this, everyone on this forum feels the need to quickly respond to the title without really paying any attention whatsoever to the actual post, much less the NINE PAGES of replies that came after it. It's even worse when this happens in topics where people ask for advice. (e.g. "My hydrometer says that my beer is made of clown piss") and then the first two pages are full of people asking the same questions over and over again ("is your hydrometer calibrated?" "did you check to see if your hydrometer is calibrated?" "did you adjust for temperature") and it's not like these posts are all happening within five minutes of each other. They're often spread out over a day or more while people wait for the OP to respond. And then a response comes and it starts all over again. And yo know what? If it was just cut down to one page over the course of six hours, I'd be okay, because after five pages of discussion they solve the problem ("your wife's new cat is not a hydrometer, and that's not a cat translator, it's one of those reminder recorders that someone recorded the phrase 'your beer tastes like clown piss' into and that's why it says that every time you 'translate' for your 'hydrometer'.). I would be okay with that, except for the fact that this is the point that somebody inevitably replies, starting the sixth page of discussion ('you should check your hydrometer to see if it's calibrated'). The most offensive thread that I've seen along these lines is this one. There are twenty (!) pages of people beating the hell out of this question with the same answers over and over again, many of them offended at the 'harsh' accusation, even though the tone of the actual post which they obviously did not read is curious rather than accusatory. Oh yeah, then there's the minor detail that the OP responded in post number 8 and basically said 'oh I'm so glad you're not alcoholics, great job, I wish I had people to share with like you guys do', which is obviously a great reason for another nineteen pages of people defending themselves against his accusation of them being alcoholics.

I feel like I should write a rant about how terrible this rant is but I'm afraid that would lock me into a never ending cycle of terrible rants.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
Orfy
For the love of beer!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

Sounds like you could do with with being a little more drunk.
I'm lucky it's 10 pm here so I am.

Most people are here to learn about and talk about brewing. Some answer questions to give back. Some answer to learn, some answer to be heard.
The social interaction is also a big draw.

As for asking repeated questions to an answer then this is because the same questin has normally been seem 100s of times before and the initial post generally does not have enough information to find the problem.
The questions asked normally gve the information to find a solution.

Sorry for the dry response.

Whiskey time.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #3
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 697 Times on 513 Posts

Sorry, I didn't read the entire post, so I''ll just reply to the topic title. I think your beer is clown piss.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian

Recipes 

Jan 2008
Liked 7720 Times on 6301 Posts

What was the question?

Most of us are just trying to help by educating along the way. A sort of Give a man a fish/Teach a man to fish methodology.

And then there's LGI.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:35 PM   #5
EMPyre
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Wenatchee, Wa
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts

Turn on your filter...
You don't need to reply, and after reading a few dozen threads (or just looking a peoples post counts) you can pretty quickly tell who around here is worth listening to and whether an OP is something you may want to follow.

That is all.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #6
slowbie
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Raleigh, NC
Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Okay, here's what I have to say so far:

LGI: hilarious, that's mostly what I was expecting to hear, so thank you

Everyone else: You are mostly people I recognize and I can say that you're definitely not part of the problem and are actually part of the people I am thanking in disclaimer number one. Obviously these questions need to be asked, my problem is when twenty people ask the same question without stopping to think that anyone else has already asked the exact same question five minutes ago.

Old 02-24-2010, 10:52 PM   #7
azscoob
Brewpub coming soon!
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jun 2009
Lake in the Hills, IL
Liked 278 Times on 211 Posts

That was a well written rant. clearly laid out as to the nature of the rant, and examples are given to support it. However..... I feel that by laying down disclaimer #1 kinda waters down the rant with too much sucking-up right off the bat. maybe putting that bullet point at the bottom as a "BTW" would have given it more bite.
Overall I give your first rant a grade of B-

I seem to have misplaced my trousers... ~Grainreaper

Old 02-24-2010, 10:53 PM   #8
Orfy
For the love of beer!

Recipes 

Sep 2005
Cheshire, England
Liked 95 Times on 62 Posts

That'll be LGI not reading the posts.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Jun 2006
UP of Michigan, Winter Texan
Liked 8032 Times on 5611 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by azscoob View Post
Overall I give your first rant a grade of B-
Have you considered calibrating your rant-o-meter? Most B- rants are due to improper readings, not due to the rants themselves. I'd suggest going to a UFC forum, and calibrating your rant-0-meter to the D- rants there, and then coming back on here and rechecking this rant. Once properly calibrated, we can better advise you on the validity of your rant rating. Otherwise, it's just a guess as to the real rating.

Who taught you how to rant? I would suggest to the OP to find a rant mentor, someone who can lead you through the basic steps of ranting with or without accompanying drunkenness. For a beginner, it's not bad, and I think your first rant will be fine in the end.

Old 02-24-2010, 11:07 PM   #10
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts

So.....why TF isn't your cat calibrated?