shirron chiller hot break

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dooksh

Reaction score
how do you filter your wort going into the shirron?
just got my shirron and i am a little paranoid about clogging it with hops/hot break.
i use a keg with a ball valve for my boilings

I don't think you need to post this same topic on two different forums.

I have recently acquired a plate chiller and am wondering the same thing. On my last batch I used an immersion chiller with SS braid on the bottom of my BK connected to my ball valve to rack to the fermenter, and that clogged up pretty good. Enough that the flow from my 1/2" valve basically stopped. So, I have been looking at hop stopper type of designs now.

First, I'd ren my kettle wort through the hop bag. that became a PITA.

Now I am trying a hop back loaded with rice hulls. Not as simple as I originally planned but I am working it out.

Basically, over the years of brewing with plate chillers I find it's not the break that is so problematic so long as you flush and clean throroughly after use.

I don't filter the wort before the plate chiller. I keep the hops loosely contained in a couple of gargantuan 5.5" stainless balls that I drop into the boil and whirlpool the hot break at the end to develop a nice trub cone. My pickup tube is on the outer edge of the kettle.

51L6SiBHHaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

No clogs, no slow-downs. no worries. :)

Whirlpooling can do it for you, or you could buy or make a Hopstopper.

Being the lazy SOB that I am, I went with the Hopstopper and it works like a champ on my Therminator.

I don't filter the wort before the plate chiller. I keep the hops loosely contained in a couple of gargantuan 5.5" stainless balls that I drop into the boil and whirlpool the hot break at the end to develop a nice trub cone. My pickup tube is on the outer edge of the kettle.

51L6SiBHHaL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

No clogs, no slow-downs. no worries. :)

Whoa! Where the heck did you find that thing?

i forgot to mention that i have a stainless steel false bottom that i never used(got from fellow brewer) could that help ?

+1 to whirlpooling and back flushing. Also, if you have a bucket or vessel with a spigot, fill it with PBW (or whatever) and if you have a pump, use it to recirculate the cleaner/sanitizer through the chiller and back into the top of the bucket. Recirculate while your boiling or whatever. Anyway, that's just what I like to do.:mug:

I use a large area homemade hop stopper attached to the ball valve on my brew kettle. I gravity feed to the Shirron. No issues with clogging the Shirron, however as has been noted previously, the hop stopper itself will clog with a large amount of pellet hops only. A small amount of leaf hops added in, like 1/4 ounce, seems to create a sufficient filter bed to prevent this.

I've seen the new Blichman kettle/screen setup. With a JZ whirlpool setup added in to create the trub/hop cone in the center of the kettle, it should work really well. But then you wouldn't need the Shirron.

STH70138.jpg

STH70139.jpg

Back