HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > BiaB sparge volume

Old 02-24-2010, 02:36 PM   #1
Finnagann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default BiaB sparge volume

How critical is the volume of the sparge? Is there an accepted ratio to use?

I'm trying to figure out how much grain I can work with.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:44 PM   #2
gtpro
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

basically go with 1.25qt/lb on your mash, subtract (.15gal/lb) as absorption, or guesstimate how much wort you have after your mash, then set your sparge volume to make up for that.

even with a big grain bill you should still have at least 3 gallons to sparge with.

Old 02-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #3
Finnagann
Recipes 

O.O you're actually displacing the sugary water, now inside the grain, with sparge water. Makes sense, thank you for that.

I can see too little sparge water has obvious reprecussions, but what about too much?

Old 02-24-2010, 03:11 PM   #4
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 41 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 462

The Aussie method of BIAB; uses full volume. I have used this method twice now; very good results.
http://www.beersmith.com/blog/2009/0...-beer-brewing/

Old 02-24-2010, 03:16 PM   #5
maida7
Recipes 

Liked 44 Times on 38 Posts

IIRC there is no separate sparge with BIAB method. All the water for the mash and sparge go in together with the grain for the full amount of time. When the mash is done, you remove the bag with the grain and start the boil. I've never done it but it sounds super easy and many people say it works great. The catch is you need a very big pot to fit everything at once. I think a 10 gallon pot is recommended to make 5 gallons of beer.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:23 PM   #6
Finnagann
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
IIRC there is no separate sparge with BIAB method. All the water for the mash and sparge go in together with the grain for the full amount of time. When the mash is done, you remove the bag with the grain and start the boil. I've never done it but it sounds super easy and many people say it works great. The catch is you need a very big pot to fit everything at once. I think a 10 gallon pot is recommended to make 5 gallons of beer.
I was thinking of doing the method where you have a second pot of "sparge" water that you use to soak out the goodies... but I'm unsure how much water/space is needed.

Edit: sorry I didn't realise there were so many BiaB methods

Old 02-24-2010, 03:30 PM   #7
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnagann View Post
I was thinking of doing the method where you have a second pot of "sparge" water that you use to soak out the goodies... but I'm unsure how much water/space is needed.
Check out the thread on stove top all grain. That's what your doing. He has a full step by step tutorial with pics. The sparge should be as big as possible. Basically make the sparge whatever volume you need to add to the mash to make the full preboil volume.

Example: you need 6.5 gallons of wort preboil and your mash results in 2.5 gallons of wort. Make the sparge the other 4 gallons.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:36 PM   #8
Finnagann
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by maida7 View Post
Check out the thread on stove top all grain. That's what your doing. He has a full step by step tutorial with pics. The sparge should be as big as possible. Basically make the sparge whatever volume you need to add to the mash to make the full preboil volume.

Example: you need 6.5 gallons of wort preboil and your mash results in 2.5 gallons of wort. Make the sparge the other 4 gallons.
Yikes I guess I will need bigger pots, thanks for the input.

Old 02-24-2010, 03:41 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finnagann View Post
Yikes I guess I will need bigger pots, thanks for the input.

you'll need an 8 gallon pot to do full boils for 5 gallon batches.

Check out this thread

For that method you need a second pot 5-6 gallon size.

Old 02-24-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1204 Times on 791 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I wouldn't say there's any "standard" for Brew-in-a-bag. Yes, usually it's full volume mashing where you just remove the grain bag and start boiling but it does require a large pot vs. finished batch size. You can squeeze a bit more OG out of a given batch by increasing grain bill, mashing with MOST of the water in the kettle, then dunk sparging in a smaller vessel of water. That volume then gets poured back into the main kettle which will now have more headroom since the grain has been removed.

This is still BIAB but it adds a sparge step.

Tags
biab, sparge