Cost vs. Labor - Before I do anything! - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Cost vs. Labor - Before I do anything!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:55 AM   #1
StarCityBrewMaster
Recipes 

Aug 2008
Roanoke, VA
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I'm trying to search the forum but can't seem to find what I'm looking for.

I would like to brew my own beer, personally I favor something like a Newcastle nut brown ale.

I am curious what it would cost for me to do a typical brew like this and how much beer it would produce. I can buy a 12 pack at a local grocery store for $15-$16. If the cost difference isn't much to brew my own I'm not sure I have the time nor the funds to get started right now. If the cost difference is substantial then I am highly interested in home brewing!

Thanks for any info!

Old 02-24-2010, 03:58 AM   #2
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Homebrewing is in no way shape or form a way to save money on beer.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:04 AM   #3
Hermit
Recipes 

Nov 2009
Alternate Universe
Liked 72 Times on 61 Posts

It is more labor intensive than you might think. Think of it as 'extreme cooking'. You may well save money in the long run. Be patient and check things like Craig's list and the local scrap yard for stuff if you have too. Join a local club in your area if you can find one and ease into it.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #4
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

I would love to see what his other 11 posts were about.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:05 AM   #5
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airborneguy View Post
I would love to see what his other 11 posts were about.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/search.php?searchid=5964757

Old 02-24-2010, 04:06 AM   #6
iparks81
Recipes 

Sep 2009
North Phoenix, AZ
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

well...your equipment isnt cheap...but the ingredients to make the beer will make it seem cheaper to brew your own....Its a hobby and a never ending "quest" for lack of better words to improve the Beer that YOU made and can take ownership of.
In the end, once you have the equipment to brew how you see fit it will become very much cost effective to brew your own, but maybe not at first...I had to aproach it as a hobby rather than means to save a buck.
jump in with both feet!!!

Old 02-24-2010, 04:07 AM   #7
Lep
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Edmonton

Up front you'll save nothing. And every time you think you're turning the page on that, you'll go further down the rabbit hole and need more equipment. I was given a bunch from my brother and I've still found myself spending money on more stuff every time I visit the LHBS. Eventually, sure. But the reason I got into it was the fun. I don't think of it as labour.

Old 02-24-2010, 04:08 AM   #8
sirsloop
Recipes 

Jun 2006
South River, NJ
Liked 20 Times on 17 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edcculus View Post
Homebrewing is in no way shape or form a way to save money on beer.
You actually can save money brewing your own beer, but you have to go all grain and be resourceful finding your equipment. Realistically, most people end up spending A LOT more money on brew gear, kegs, keggerators, trinkets, toys... etc.

If you are looking for a cheap way to drink beer, stick with BMC cans. If you want to brew a superior product for yourself, then consider homebrew.
~~~~~~~_/_______| |____NOW TRIPLE HOPPED______|~~~~~~~~~~
~~~___/[_]| 00 /| | \,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/\,,,/ |~~~~~~~~~~
~~|___|___|___/_| |___________________________|~~~~~~~~~~
~~|=(*)[________]==(*)(*)=| \________/=(*)(*)=|~~~~~~~~~~

Old 02-24-2010, 04:10 AM   #9
Edcculus

Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC

Don't let any of this be discouraging though. Its a great hobby. As any hobbyist will tell you, its not a way to save versus buying commercial product. Brewing, wine making, mead, and even hobbies like painting, pottery, cars, cheese, cooking, shooting etc.

You can eventually save money, by buying malt and hops in bulk, harvesting/washing yeast and other money saving things. Of course you will need a malt mill, a way to vacuum store hops, storage space and all the other all grain equipment...

Old 02-24-2010, 04:12 AM   #10
itsme6582

Recipes 

Nov 2009
Cleveland
Liked 25 Times on 22 Posts

That's absolutely not true. You can save quite a bit of money by making your own beer. As long as you have some discipline and realize you don't need a $1400 conical, a $5500 brew sculpture, a slight remodel to your home to fit your walk-in fermenting chamber, a brewhouse...

You can get just about everything you'll ever "need," from a basic kit for $100 or so. From there it's just the cost of ingredients.

...and a bigger brew kettle, and a second primary, ooh what's a mash tun for, botting would be easier if I could just put it all into 1 5 gallon bottle, MoreBeer is having a sale on x I should spend at least 60 bucks to save on shipping...

People Like This