I've probably done about 10 batches of beer and moved on to cider for the first time this past Sunday.
Here's what I did:
1) Bought 5 gallons of pastuerized, but no preservative apple juice/cider at the supermarket, 4 cinnamon sticks, a lemon and 2 pounds of brown sugar. I also bought 3/4 cup of corn sugar and 2 packages of cote de blanc yeast at LHBS.
2) Heated up 1 gallon w/the cinnamon, juice from the lemon and dissolved the sugar. Let it sit for 20 minutes at 150 degrees.
3) Sanitized all equipment ala beer brewing (Idaphor, etc.).
4) Threw in all the cider after straining the cinnamon sticks and lemon seeds.
5) Measured the OG - I got a reading at 70 degrees of 1.075.
6) Threw in the yeast & put on the airlock (with cheap vodka in the airlock).
It's now bubbling once a second and I'm getting a sulfur smell, which I read is normal.
I have never racked my beer to a secondary before. I've always done the primary until it bubbles one a minute and then bottled, waited two weeks and enjoyed.
So my question is: When should I rack to the secondary? Should I put a normal airlock on the secondary? When should I bottle the cider?
Thanks for all help! I really appreciate it.