Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck Fermentation

Old 02-21-2010, 05:45 PM   #1
wulfsburg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stuck Fermentation

My latest batch is the first time I have used liquid yeast. I have been using ingredient kits. I pitched my white labs hefe yeast when my wort was about 85 degrees. I know this is a little warm, but I was in a hurry (which is always a problem when brewing). I did not get a good seal on my bucket lid, as I did not get any activity out of my airlock... however... it was bubbling up and around the top of the bucket. It even hit the lid.
Right now 2 days in a row, the gravity reading is 1.020. I am not certain if this is ok for a hefe or not, but it hasn't changed. Do I have stuck fermentation? Or is this ready to bottle?
My hydrometer was broken (dropped it prior to finishing the brew) so I didn't get an OG reading. But it was supposed to be around 1.056.
The temp strip on the pail is reading about 65 degrees. Since I cannot get a tight seal on my bucket lid, I can't see if there is any activity, but I can see that the foam has subsided and there isn't any VISUAL fermentation going on.

I just don't want a bottle bomb on my hands. Thoughts/Suggestions?

Thanks for reading and thanks for the help!

Old 02-21-2010, 06:27 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

your supposed to wait 3 or 4 days between SG readings to determine if its done or not. how long has it been since you pitched the yeast? i would wait another week then check again. if its still the same then yea your stuck.

Old 02-22-2010, 12:30 AM   #3
wulfsburg
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I pitched the yeast 7 days ago. I took both readings yesterday and today. Is 1.020 too high?
What can be done about restarting fermentation?