Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Fermentation redux?? (Am I stuck?)

Old 02-21-2010, 03:31 PM   #1
meporsche
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Fermentation redux?? (Am I stuck?)

Hello,

Brewed a batch of (extract) wheat/amber/honey @ 1.050 and pitched started Munton Ale. I had some extra yeast nutrient from my winemaking so I decided to NOT follow Charlie P's advice and I added 1 tbsp of nutrient before I pitched the working yeast.

Fermenation was VERY active within 4 hours. 12 hours later the stuff was practically boiling, I was continually cleaning my airlock of foam and bits of hop leaf (dry hopped) and refitting . 36 hours after pitching, my fermentation, while not completely stopped, is for all practical puposes not moving.

I have not yet taken another SG reading as I'm not crazy about opening up the beer at this point. It certainly appears that the nutrient was overkill.

QUestion is: Anyone have any experience here? Should I pitch another packet? Wait and see if fermentation starts again? Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew? Any help out there?

Thanks,

Darwin

Old 02-21-2010, 04:47 PM   #2
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would just leave it a few more days and then take a gravity reading. It's very possible that it's done. Before I had ferm temp control, I had batches completely ferment out in 2 days and had one I swear went overnight. What was your ferm temp? Just let it sit and take the reading before doing anything.

As far as the dry-hopping... why were you dry-hopping in the primary before fermentation was complete. I know it's personal preference, but I think most homebrewers and almost all commercial brewers hop after primary fermentation is complete.

Old 02-21-2010, 05:05 PM   #3
meporsche
Recipes 

What was your ferm temp?

I started out about 79 deg and it stabilzed about 68 deg

why were you dry-hopping in the primary before fermentation was complete.

Not sure, sort of a spur of the moment thing. And I guess I didn't want to muck up my secondary (being too lazy to want to rack an extra time to clarify I suppose). I haven't dry hopped in 10 years, maybe I shouldn't be now.

I guess I'll rack it to a sec in 5 days and if the SG is too high pitch again. WHat's the worst that can happen?

Old 02-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
meporsche
Recipes 

update: Swirled the fermenter a bit as I had nothing else to do and Hoohah! Getting a gurgle every 15 seconds. Too early to tell but I may have a successful re-start.

Old 02-21-2010, 06:43 PM   #5
Grizzlybrew
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by meporsche View Post
update: Swirled the fermenter a bit as I had nothing else to do and Hoohah! Getting a gurgle every 15 seconds. Too early to tell but I may have a successful re-start.
Glad to hear it. Give it some time and it should be fine.

Being somewhat of a hop-head, I encourage dry-hopping (when appropriate) - you get aromas you can't get any other way (not even at flameout or whirlpool). The more I listen to pro brewers, the more I realize how particular people can be about dry-hopping and how much variation can exist.