Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

Old 11-05-2010, 01:16 PM   #431
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BargainFittings View Post
Very slick looking box.
Thanks! I saw someone else do the "All Black" and thought I would replicate.

Old 11-05-2010, 01:30 PM   #432
elproducto
Recipes 

Liked 19 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Just wanted to update for anyone on the fence, I'm no electrician by any means as was able to put this together.

Mine is running really well. My house is quite cool right now, especially my basement where I keep all my beer so I don't have any problems with ferm temps, but it's carbing I have trouble with. I'm using the heating feature on this to run a 40w lightbulb in my ferm chamber, and it's keeping everything at 70 degrees perfectly.

Old 11-06-2010, 12:12 AM   #433
Brodeurman69
Recipes 

What has everyone been using as far as boxes to house everything? I picked up a 4 gang outlet box and it was about a half inch too shallow. Does anyone know if they make a deeper outlet box then 2-1/2"?

Old 11-06-2010, 01:59 AM   #434
dunnright00
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 42

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeurman69 View Post
What has everyone been using as far as boxes to house everything? I picked up a 4 gang outlet box and it was about a half inch too shallow. Does anyone know if they make a deeper outlet box then 2-1/2"?
I used this http://www.radioshack.com/product/in...ductId=2062285

It's a little shallow, but it did barely fit.

"I'm sittin' here, completely surrounded by No Beer!" - Onslow

Old 11-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #435
sharpstick
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brodeurman69 View Post
i got a nice big shiny wooden cigar box at a cigar store for 2 bucks. plenty of room for controller, barrier strip and bigass 12 ga wiring.

Old 11-07-2010, 12:21 AM   #436
kpr121
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 106 Posts
Likes Given: 162

Quote:
Originally Posted by truckmann View Post
If you find what you need at radio shack post up what it is so we all know in case of future issues. If you don't find what you need there you can get them through the seller. Here is his response to me asking if he sells extra probes.
Just an update. The thermistor was not the issue. It was just some careless wiring on my part. I got it hooked up and and tested and its working!

Primary: Two Hearted Clone[B]
Secondary: Table Red Wine, Table White Wine
Kegged:Oberon Clone, "Campfire" Hoppy Red Ale, Brown Trout Stout, Cider
Bottled: Random stuff(Cider, Mead, Wines)
Bulk Aging: Red wine, Blueberry "Brandy"
Up Next: Citra Blonde, Kolsch, IPA, IPA, IPA

Old 11-11-2010, 11:27 PM   #437
brettwasbtd
Awesomeness Award Winnner
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 76 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 100

So I am not a carpenter, but i constructed a fermentation box hooked to my fridge. I probably should have test it out on water or something, but no...Im testing in out the brew I just did today! I currently have the probe attached to the better bottle, held on by tap and bubble wrap (to try and get the wort temp). I currently have the ebay temp control unit set to a .4 differential and have it set to 16.5. This gives me a range of 16.5-16.9, for the average of 16.7 Celsius, or 62 Farenheit. At these settings the fridge is on for 5 or 6 minutes, off 6 minutes. Is this too much time for this little mini fridge to be chugging a full blast? Is 6 minutes not enough rest time? I tried to feel around the box and it doesn't seem like any "crazy cool" in any areas Is the rate of .4 degrees celsius of temp loss in 6 minutes bad or normal?

Sorry for all the questions! Id mainly like to get some info on others cooling medium and their on/off times! Thanks!

Old 11-12-2010, 12:56 AM   #438
KirkMN
Recipes 

Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettwasbtd View Post
So I am not a carpenter, but i constructed a fermentation box hooked to my fridge. I probably should have test it out on water or something, but no...Im testing in out the brew I just did today! I currently have the probe attached to the better bottle, held on by tap and bubble wrap (to try and get the wort temp). I currently have the ebay temp control unit set to a .4 differential and have it set to 16.5. This gives me a range of 16.5-16.9, for the average of 16.7 Celsius, or 62 Farenheit. At these settings the fridge is on for 5 or 6 minutes, off 6 minutes. Is this too much time for this little mini fridge to be chugging a full blast? Is 6 minutes not enough rest time? I tried to feel around the box and it doesn't seem like any "crazy cool" in any areas Is the rate of .4 degrees celsius of temp loss in 6 minutes bad or normal?

Sorry for all the questions! Id mainly like to get some info on others cooling medium and their on/off times! Thanks!
I think it's cycling too often. I'd shoot for having it run a few minutes just once an hour. When the compressor starts, it takes a bit before it starts cooling at its best. Maybe shoot for a 3F band.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:01 PM   #439
rasherb
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Adding my vote to this project. This is the first electrical project I've ever done and it wasn't hard at all. Remember to break the tab on the 'hot' side of the outlet so you don't run both heat and cool at the same time.

Old 11-12-2010, 10:17 PM   #440
mattd2
Recipes 

Liked 276 Times on 219 Posts
Likes Given: 54

My controller arrived yesterday and now I am having to (impatiently) wait 2 more week untill my b'day to open it (had a quick sneak peak just to make sure it was all there and nothing broke in transit )
Has anyone wired this inline to an extention cord? I am looking at doing this as it will save on size of the box (no need for a plug socket) and parts (again no need for a plug socket). Come on 2 weeks!
Also does anyone have a good ebay vendor for project boxes?