Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

Old 02-05-2013, 01:08 PM   #3331
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 154 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwmarach View Post
I found a supplier of the controllers with free shipping. I ordered one and it came in 9 days. Not too shabby.

http://www.eachbuyer.com/business-in...stat-1567.html

These are $15.80 and FREE SHIPPING!
Warning, the item above is HEAT ONLY, not AC. Also only rated 5A.

MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:52 PM   #3332
ryanhope
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Yes. Depending on the length, type of wire, and how solid your connections are, you might need to adjust the calibration. Several people have used 1/8" headphone jacks to connect the sensor wire with the controller.
Thanks.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:12 PM   #3333
Huaco
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 121 Times on 75 Posts
Likes Given: 38

These things DO have audible alarms! I found that out last night. I had my new multi-temp control box powered up for the first time, but without temp sensors... The power was on about 3 seconds and then all hell broke loose! Scared the crap out of me actually... (well, not literally) it sounded like a hundred finger nails on chalk boards! I guess the alarm is for failures, not high-low temps...

Old 02-05-2013, 02:59 PM   #3334
cwi
Recipes 

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huaco View Post
These things DO have audible alarms! I found that out last night. I had my new multi-temp control box powered up for the first time, but without temp sensors... The power was on about 3 seconds and then all hell broke loose! Scared the crap out of me actually... (well, not literally) it sounded like a hundred finger nails on chalk boards! I guess the alarm is for failures, not high-low temps...
I thought it sounded more like Ned Beatty in Deliverance. Annoying in any case. If that is the same speaker used for the over/under temp alarm, I will pass. Maybe if it was only short beeps, or muffled with a piece of tape, or something. No way could I listen to that for who knows how long before temps get back in range.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:15 PM   #3335
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
I found a supplier of the controllers with free shipping. I ordered one and it came in 9 days. Not too shabby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck View Post
Warning, the item above is HEAT ONLY, not AC. Also only rated 5A.

MC
The photos show cooling only. Did you order one that came as heating only?
Either way, it doesn't look like it can be switched between heating and cooling, not 10+ amps, or come with the nicer stainless probe like the preferred single stage model.
If the guy only needs cooling, it isn't as drastic a mistake as the guys who come on here bragging about how they got a dual stage for $18, only to find out it is 220V.

The regular single stage heat/cool models on Ebay were only $14 shipped last time I searched.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:19 PM   #3336
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:

The CH54 is a single stage, heat OR cool controller, with the same relay (and same current rating) as the STC1000. Heat OR Cool is selectable in the setup menu.

CH54

STC1000
Ponchy Pale Ale - Falconer's Flight
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Second Amendment Amber

Next Up:
NippleRub Ultra (Light Lager w/Mexican Lager yeast)

Old 02-05-2013, 04:36 PM   #3337
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3335 Times on 3226 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
The CH54 is a single stage, heat OR cool controller, with the same relay (and same current rating) as the STC1000. Heat OR Cool is selectable in the setup menu.

CH54

STC1000
I know the relays used are the same, but does that really mean the current rating for the entire controller is the same? Couldn't there be other components that are bringing the rating down?

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 02-05-2013, 04:43 PM   #3338
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
The CH54 is a single stage, heat OR cool controller, with the same relay (and same current rating) as the STC1000.
I think this has been brought up before, and there was still the unknown of whether the traces on the board may be thinner for these 5A rated units, and they just used the 15A relay because the was a pile of them in the corner next to the chicken coop.
It is still a bit of a gamble that the next batch may actually have a 5A relay. Especially when the gamble costs $2 more than the equivalent off Ebay with a stated 10A, and stated switchable heat/cool. Also, dual stage STC-1000 are only $20 shipped these days, if you don't need Ned to squeal like a pig for you when your mash is out of range.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:22 PM   #3339
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 79 Times on 71 Posts
Likes Given: 129

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I know the relays used are the same, but does that really mean the current rating for the entire controller is the same? Couldn't there be other components that are bringing the rating down?
Sure, there could be other limiting factors, but in this type of simple relay circuit, the contacts themselves tend to be at the top of that list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
I think this has been brought up before, and there was still the unknown of whether the traces on the board may be thinner for these 5A rated units, and they just used the 15A relay because the was a pile of them in the corner next to the chicken coop......
I'll open my spares up and inspect the traces.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwi View Post
......It is still a bit of a gamble that the next batch may actually have a 5A relay. Especially when the gamble costs $2 more than the equivalent off Ebay with a stated 10A, and stated switchable heat/cool. Also, dual stage STC-1000 are only $20 shipped these days, if you don't need Ned to squeal like a pig for you when your mash is out of range.
FWIW, the paperwork on my CH54 states 10A, the same as the STC1000.

For me, the choice between the two does not come down to comparing a perceived gamble or price, but features. The CH54 provides the features that I consider most important to my fermentation chamber's operation and I have no concern that my chamber will exceed its current capacity.

I can't say that I have heard mine make any audible sounds yet.
Ponchy Pale Ale - Falconer's Flight
NippleRub Ultra

In the Chamber:
Second Amendment Amber

Next Up:
NippleRub Ultra (Light Lager w/Mexican Lager yeast)

Old 02-05-2013, 06:50 PM   #3340
cwi
Recipes 

Quote:
I'll open my spares up and inspect the traces.
FWIW, the paperwork on my CH54 states 10A, the same as the STC1000.
The traces may be narrower and/or the substrate thinner. The distance from the relay to the post is so short though, they would have to have been real cheapskates for them not to handle 10A. If they have an appliance engineer working for them, it is a possibility- those guys think in fractions of a penny.

Quote:
For me, the choice between the two does not come down to comparing a perceived gamble or price, but features. The CH54 provides the features that I consider most important to my fermentation chamber's operation and I have no concern that my chamber will exceed its current capacity.
Why are all the single stage users so GD cryptic about why they choose them. What features does it provide that make it a better choice for you? You obviously don't use the min/max alarm. The only other notable difference is F vs. C.
Not fessing up just leads newbies to incorrect assumptions, like they don't need heating and cooling, even though they live in Maine, because they were reading posts from a guy living in Miami.

Quote:
I can't say that I have heard mine make any audible sounds yet.
See above about min/max alarm. You can also disconnect your sensor if you miss having a newborn around- same effect.