ebay aquarium temp controller build - Page 328 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2013, 02:22 AM   #3271
hammis
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
hammis's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
canada
Posts: 300
Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts


so now that my new system is built, i'm going to have some fun and build a cooled fermenter and control it with one of these temp controllers. i somehow lost the NTC probe, but i found this one on ebay which has the same specs and is stainless and threaded. so we'll see how that works out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Water-Te...item19d84d4a32

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 05:21 AM   #3272
coinhall09
 
coinhall09's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Huntsville, North , Alabama
Posts: 194
Liked 45 Times on 35 Posts


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3175436822.jpg
Views:	561
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	96279

Just got done with wiring this up , thinking of a way to test it some how ... Pretty easy all I had to do was read this forum , cut and drill holes and bend wires done !!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 06:14 AM   #3273
EdgeBrew
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Victoria, Australia
Posts: 48
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammis
so now that my new system is built, i'm going to have some fun and build a cooled fermenter and control it with one of these temp controllers. i somehow lost the NTC probe, but i found this one on ebay which has the same specs and is stainless and threaded. so we'll see how that works out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Water-Te...item19d84d4a32
Cool. Post back if it works.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 11:05 PM   #3274
asdash
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Havertown, pa
Posts: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
The two I have are not labeled as Willhi's but they likely have a common source.


The relay is the exact same part as in my STC-1000 and is rated at 15A.
I have to believe the answer is somewhere in the 328 pages, yet I have searched tirelessly over the last two days trying to find the answer before posting this question.

I also have the CH54 single stage model with ONLY SEVEN terminals on the back. Has anyone developed a wiring diagram for this model? Every other one I've found has 8 terminals.

Would really appreciate the assistance if someone has properly wired this model and has a corresponding diagram!!!

Cheers,
ASD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:43 PM   #3275
raouliii
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
raouliii's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
Ponchatoula, LA
Posts: 1,015
Liked 118 Times on 102 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by asdash View Post
...I also have the CH54 single stage model with ONLY SEVEN terminals on the back. Has anyone developed a wiring diagram for this model? Every other one I've found has 8 terminals.

Would really appreciate the assistance if someone has properly wired this model and has a corresponding diagram!!!

Cheers,
ASD
The single stage model can control temperature by either heating OR cooling, but not at the same time. Heat or Cool mode must be selected on the controller.

As for wiring, it is basically the same as the STC1000 except there is only one switch, between 6 & 7. The function control, which locks settings, can be ignored.

__________________
On Tap:
LeftOvers Amber
Rearranger IPA - Chinook, Simcoe, Cascade
Ponchy Pale Ale - Millennium and Willamette
NippleRub Ultra (Light Lager w/Mexican Lager yeast)

In the Chamber:
Nothing

Next Up:
A Light Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 04:27 PM   #3276
asdash
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Havertown, pa
Posts: 15

Appreciate the help. So, It should look like this??

With the probe at 3 and 4; 5 gets ignored.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Temp Controller Diagram.jpg
Views:	1165
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	97293  

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 11:40 PM   #3277
lhommedieu
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 710
Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts


Can anyone tell me how to attach a 15 amp (or should it be a 20 amp?) fuse to the incoming power line? I am assuming that it would be the black line - is this correct?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:56 AM   #3278
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,808
Liked 324 Times on 274 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by hammis View Post
so now that my new system is built, i'm going to have some fun and build a cooled fermenter and control it with one of these temp controllers. i somehow lost the NTC probe, but i found this one on ebay which has the same specs and is stainless and threaded. so we'll see how that works out: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Air-Water-Te...item19d84d4a32
You can also get the original type from Digikey, part number: BC2647-ND
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 AM   #3279
helibrewer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
helibrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2011
Santa Rosa, CA
Posts: 3,808
Liked 324 Times on 274 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lhommedieu View Post
Can anyone tell me how to attach a 15 amp (or should it be a 20 amp?) fuse to the incoming power line? I am assuming that it would be the black line - is this correct?
I put mine (15A breaker) between the service and the relay (black line, the pin 7 line above) because I wanted to protect the internal relay.
__________________
Something is always fermenting....
"It's Bahl Hornin'"

Primary:
Kegged: Bourbon Barrel Imperial Stout
On Deck: German Lager

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 01:40 AM   #3280
lhommedieu
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Posts: 710
Liked 82 Times on 68 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by helibrewer View Post
I put mine (15A breaker) between the service and the relay (black line, the pin 7 line above) because I wanted to protect the internal relay.
Right - that's what I was thinking. I doubt the relay gets above 5-6 amps - but just in case. Is this just a case of stripping the wire, and attaching each end to where it belongs on the fuse?

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY temp controller build android DIY Projects 100 05-09-2013 01:14 PM
Control Fermentation temp with Aquarium Heater chemist308 General Techniques 20 12-15-2012 12:13 AM
question about "aquarium temperature controller" SamBrewer General Techniques 12 02-26-2011 07:30 PM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 04:30 PM
Brutus Build Controller Box? gruversm Brew Stands 9 03-27-2009 03:54 AM


Forum Jump