ebay aquarium temp controller build - Page 314 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-16-2012, 12:33 AM   #3131
mattd2
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Papamoa, New Zealand
Posts: 3,723
Liked 307 Times on 245 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellum View Post
Hey this is selling on eBay for 19.99 and free shipping. I just picked an additional unit up and not affiliated with the seller. I found the link via homebrewfinds.com.

Cheers all
Did you check it is a 110V version, looks like some have fallen for a good priced one only to find it was 220V.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 12:35 AM   #3132
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,411
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mattd2

Did you check it is a 110V version, looks like some have fallen for a good priced one only to find it was 220V.
or single stage.
__________________
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:36 AM   #3133
emjay
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,794
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepinjeepin

or single stage.
The reason for that seems to be different - every one I can recall that wound up with a single stage did so (intentionally or not) because they wanted a model that uses degrees Fahrenheit.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 11:54 PM   #3134
grathan
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Albany, NY
Posts: 2,250
Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts


Will the hot side on this power a 1500 watt heating element?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 05:57 AM   #3135
emjay
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Toronto, Ontario
Posts: 12,794
Liked 1719 Times on 1606 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan
Will the hot side on this power a 1500 watt heating element?
Depends on precisely which one you got, as it depends on which relay you've got. Is the 1500W element meant for 120V or 240V?

Also, what do you plan on using a heating element for? This unit isn't that great for actual brewday applications as that generally requires fairly rapid cycling, which these type of relays aren't really meant for. If you're looking to control HLT or mash temps, a PID unit with a solid state relay is what you should be looking at.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:20 PM   #3136
grathan
Recipes 
 
Jul 2010
Albany, NY
Posts: 2,250
Liked 146 Times on 115 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
Depends on precisely which one you got, as it depends on which relay you've got. Is the 1500W element meant for 120V or 240V?

Also, what do you plan on using a heating element for? This unit isn't that great for actual brewday applications as that generally requires fairly rapid cycling, which these type of relays aren't really meant for. If you're looking to control HLT or mash temps, a PID unit with a solid state relay is what you should be looking at.
thanks, can you please give an example of an inexpensive PID unit with a solid state relay?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 12:55 PM   #3137
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,768
Liked 299 Times on 252 Posts


I'd suggest checking out the electric brewing section, I'm sure folks there can give you some pretty good recommendations

barrooze Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 02:02 PM   #3138
barrooze
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Pearland, TX
Posts: 2,438
Liked 124 Times on 102 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by emjay View Post
The reason for that seems to be different - every one I can recall that wound up with a single stage did so (intentionally or not) because they wanted a model that uses degrees Fahrenheit.
I got my single-stage because I was cheap! Totally didn't know it was a single-stage when I bought it (and didn't want a single-stage), but I saved about $5!!
__________________
Kegged: BOSON on Rhubarb, Dry-Hopped Sour Brown (ECY01), DIPA, Funky Belgian Table Beer, Breakfast Stout Primary: CYBI Obsidian Stout clone, Citra Dust APA, Hop Dust APA Souring: None On Deck: Oktoberfest-ish Lager On the Horizon: Epic Pale ale clone, Atrial Rubicite clone (ECY20) Updated: 2016/04/09
Untappd: barrooze

 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:18 PM   #3139
inamays
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Charlotte, North Carolina
Posts: 44
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I did a short series of my STC-1000 + Fermentation Chamber Build. Pretty fun build! Brewed my first batch last night and this baby is fermenting nicely!


 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 07:23 PM   #3140
jeepinjeepin
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Winston-Salem, NC
Posts: 6,411
Liked 1046 Times on 1025 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by grathan

thanks, can you please give an example of an inexpensive PID unit with a solid state relay?
I just bought this one. http://bit.ly/TQbQrV
__________________
Walmart is about the only reason for open or concealed carry that I can get behind. -Randar

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
DIY temp controller build android DIY Projects 100 05-09-2013 01:14 PM
Control Fermentation temp with Aquarium Heater chemist308 General Techniques 20 12-15-2012 12:13 AM
question about "aquarium temperature controller" SamBrewer General Techniques 12 02-26-2011 07:30 PM
Attic Fan Temp Controller = Inexpensive Fermentation Controller???? Beernip General Techniques 5 06-16-2009 04:30 PM
Brutus Build Controller Box? gruversm Brew Stands 9 03-27-2009 03:54 AM


Forum Jump