Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Fermenters > ebay aquarium temp controller build

Old 07-04-2012, 03:40 AM   #2801
Irishwrench
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by kosmokramer View Post
I think I may have bought the wrong conrtoller, looks the same as the stc but is doesnt have that decal on the front, it also reads in farenheit. the wiring sticker says loading 1,2 ; power supply 3,4; function control 5,6 ; temp probe 7,8. How do i hook this sucker up? not very good at electronics. Thanks
I just got one of these as well. I have a stc wired up that I have been running for 6 months. Wanted a second for my mini fridge and ordered what I thought was another STC. It reads in farenheit. The directions are horrible. Mine read different than yours. Power supply is 1/2. I have black from source to 1, white from source to 2. 3/4 are temperature probe, check probe installed and sitting a bottle of water. It says function control is 4/5, WTF? I have nothing to terminal 5. 6/7 are switch to load. I have black from source to 6. black from terminal 7 to outlet. White from source and green(bare) from source to outlet. The thing I like about this controller is I can switch it to control the outlet to heat or cool by switching the HC setting. The problem i am having is it doesn't turn the damn refrigerator on consistantly. I have it set for 50* and it is clearly reading a temp of 60* inside refrig. but the light doesn't blink for the compressor delay and the damn thing comes on when it wants. I think it might me faulty. I ordered 2 of them going to switch in the other one tomorrow. Oh, it handles 10A just like the STC controller

Old 07-06-2012, 12:28 AM   #2802
Neilyboy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I have to say thanks again for all the wonderful ideas. I ordered the parts three weeks ago got the parts (all but the lights) and had this up and running for my first all-grain ten gallon batch this last weekend!! The lights finally came in from china today and installed (working like a champ). Just need a black faceplate for the outlets and im all set!!

Neil

Old 07-06-2012, 02:25 AM   #2803
Yaason
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

I love this place. Made mine today. I wanted to keep it small so everything was a tight fit. One outlet is cold, one hot, and the remaining two in the back are always on for fans and etc. That is not it's permanent home yet. Just testing everything.
Click image for larger version

Name:	temp controller 1.jpg
Views:	633
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	67396   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp controller 2.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	67397   Click image for larger version

Name:	temp controller 3.jpg
Views:	624
Size:	22.7 KB
ID:	67398  

Primary:
Secondary:
On tap:

Old 07-06-2012, 03:07 AM   #2804
wfowlks
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 24

So quick question, given the temp probe with the unit, how do you guys measure temp, do you just suspend the probe in a jar of water, and keep it a degree or 2 cooler for the first few days of fermentation, or do you use a thermo-well and fill the rest of it with water so that it can have an accurate temp?

Old 07-06-2012, 04:58 AM   #2805
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3389 Times on 3269 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by wfowlks
So quick question, given the temp probe with the unit, how do you guys measure temp, do you just suspend the probe in a jar of water, and keep it a degree or 2 cooler for the first few days of fermentation, or do you use a thermo-well and fill the rest of it with water so that it can have an accurate temp?
For ferm chambers, a popular and very accurate method is to tape the probe to the fermenter of the most recently brewed beer, and then tape something insulative over it (folded up paper towel, rag, etc).

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash
camyers Likes This 
Old 07-06-2012, 11:04 AM   #2806
Neilyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

^ works very well. my question is if I am going to hook up a computer fan (suspended in a hanging basket in my freezer) to keep the air moving. Am I only wanting it to come on while the freezer is running or am I ok with plugging it into one of my always 'hot' or always on outlets?

Neil

Old 07-06-2012, 12:49 PM   #2807
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3389 Times on 3269 Posts
Likes Given: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neilyboy View Post
^ works very well. my question is if I am going to hook up a computer fan (suspended in a hanging basket in my freezer) to keep the air moving. Am I only wanting it to come on while the freezer is running or am I ok with plugging it into one of my always 'hot' or always on outlets?

Neil
I'd run it continuously. It's not going to do much running otherwise, since for a ferm chamber the freezer will only kick on for a few min once every several hours.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 07-06-2012, 12:59 PM   #2808
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 158

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
I'd run it continuously. It's not going to do much running otherwise, since for a ferm chamber the freezer will only kick on for a few min once every several hours.
Agreed. And for a properly built keezer it won't kick on that much more.

Chest freezers are big and you'll see a pretty big temperature difference between the top and the bottom if the air isn't circulated. The good news is you can underpower a 12V PC fan (use whatever wall wart DC power supply you have lying around) and chances are it'll still provide enough air movement. The fans are quiet and use almost no electricity.

Old 07-06-2012, 01:43 PM   #2809
Neilyboy
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Excellent thanks for the replies. I have a bunch of 12v power supplies (work for an isp so many router power supplies around) to use. I will rig one or two of them up in there tonight and circulate away.
I got it all rigged up with dual web-cams inside the fermenter (so i can sit at work and watch it bubble away).

Neil
seanoj Likes This 
Old 07-06-2012, 02:04 PM   #2810
zachattack
Recipes 

Liked 269 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 158

That's awesome.