Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Briess DME

Old 02-22-2010, 03:36 AM   #11
mullenite
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Briess uses carapils in their two lightest extracts (Pilsen Light and Golden Light) to counter that to some extent.

Quote:
All the extract-only beers that I made seemed a bit on the watery side when it came to mouthfeel. So even if I didn't need any other steeping grains for my recipe, I'd steep 4oz - 8oz of Carapils to help with mouthfeel and head retention.

Old 02-22-2010, 04:21 AM   #12
Schnitzengiggle
Recipes 

Liked 30 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 16

When I first started brewing I exclusively used Briess DME, my beers were good! Having said that, I always used steeping grains for color, flavor, mouthfeel and head retention; usually crystal malts. However, Briess' Amber contains crystal and munich, so certain malts are used for certain extracts. I've only used the amber when making stouts.

Briess is good stuff, I think Munton's is a better product for DME though. At any rate, I think extract can make great beers, I have found my extract stout to be superior. I have just brewed my first AG stout recipe converted from my extract recipe, so I honestly don't know which will be better, but the stout recipe is awesome, again, using specialty grains. I think steeping grains are necessary for many styles when brewing with extract.

Okham's Razor - simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

My DIY Kegerator - My DIY Fermentation Chamber - My DIY Portable Pump Box

Old 02-22-2010, 02:30 PM   #13
Old John
Recipes 

Default I have never Brewed All Grain..........

I have been Brewing Extract Beers since 1992. I've always used some grain, though. Last year I brewed 13 five gallon batches of various Brown Ales, Scottish Ales, & Sweet Stout. I bottle all mine. I mostly use Briess plain Amber DME.

I love Crystal Malt, for the Flavor, color and mouth feel, that it adds.
I also frequently use Chocolate Malt.
Occasionally, I use Black Patent Malt or Roasted Barley, for various recipes.
I do not make many light colored Beers. But over the years,I have used Carapils once or twice. Oh, and there is Malto-dextrin powder, too.
I have recently tried Malted Barley that I have Toasted, lightly. It's interesting in the flavor & effect it adds.

I think you can make some Excellent Extract Home-Brews, with the addition, of a pound or so of various Grains, steeped in your water, as it warms up to boiling, and then Sparged.
I'm just sayin'.........
Works for me.

Old 08-27-2010, 06:22 PM   #14
mpruett
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Speaking of Briess DME... if you want to make a great starter beer for your megabrew drinking friends, try what I did for my first lager:

6 lbs Briess Pilsen DME
1/2 lb 10 Crystal malt
1/4 lb Carapils

about 15-20 IBU of US Hallertau hops in boil, no aroma or flavor

Ferment @ 50 with Wyeast 2782-PC Staro Prague Lager Yeast

Lager 2-3 months @ 28 F

Carbonate to about 2.5-3 volumes of CO2.

You'll end up with something about 1.052 or so in OG, about 15-20 IBUs, and roughly 4-5 SRM. Where it gets interesting is that for whatever reason, this doesn't have the overwhelming malty flavor that a helles or a pilsner would have; it's kind of understated, and there's a little sweetness there. My friends who drink megabrew absolutely LOVE it; even though it's neither particularly bitter or malty, it's more so in both categories than the megabrews, but not enough to be judged as "weird" by the friends.