Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Massive newb question

Old 02-18-2010, 04:52 AM   #1
Celestyal
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Massive newb question

Okay, i wasn't sure and i asked my sister and she didn't know. With wine, do i ferment in fermenter then put in the carboy? Or does it strait to the carboy? Does it depend on the wine? thanks for the help, like i said, massive newb.

Old 02-18-2010, 06:48 AM   #2
JonK331
Recipes 

Liked 31 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 6

When you say fermenter do you mean a plastic bucket? I personally don't ever use plastic buckets and only use glass carboys. I would stay away from plastic if you can. It does increase chances of contamination.

Old 02-18-2010, 12:10 PM   #3
summersolstice
Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 16 Posts

It's kind of difficult cramming a straining bag full of fruit into a glass carboy. Almost everyone I know who makes home made wine uses plastic pails for their primary and then racks to a glass carboy for secondary fermentation. Proper sanitation procedures eliminate contamination problems.

Old 02-18-2010, 08:03 PM   #4
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If I am making a wine or cider from juice, I use a glass jug or carboy for the entire fermentation process. If I am using fruit chuncks or anything that needs to go in a bag, I use a plastic bucket for the primary, and then glass for the secondary when I remove the bag.

Old 02-19-2010, 05:53 AM   #5
Celestyal
Recipes 

cool, thanks for clearing that up! Really helps.

Old 02-28-2010, 04:51 PM   #6
MarmotMead
Recipes 

FWIW, when using a "plastic bucket", I think it goes without saying that we are all referring to a "clean, food-grade plastic primary fermenter that has not been used to store paint or kitty litter". It should have a rubber gasket seal around the top and a pre-cut hole with a rubber O-ring seal where an airlock can be inserted.

Some "traditionalists" will use a bucket, or some tires that have been cut apart with a sawzall and cover it with an old blanket. I am not a traditionalist. $25.00 for a primary fermenter that is built for winemaking that is new and clean will serve for many years. Get one, or at least borrow one from a friend (if you are just starting out).

When you need to ferment "real fruit"[1] (and not just juice), you need a primary fermenter for the reason stated above in another post -- it is hard to get a nylon bag (or cut off stocking) filled with fruit through a carboy spout. After a couple of weeks, you can take the wine off the fruit and siphon it into the carboy for clearing/aging/etc.

I am still a newbie -- don't be afraid to ask for help. It's better to ask and get drinkable wine than to be disappointed after several months of patient waiting.

MM

[1] "Real Fruit": Fruit that is in-season, ripe, local, and which actually smells of fruit. Not to be confused with peaches from Chile which I find in my local grocery in February. These are easily confused with orange cannonballs, and they make wine just as flavorful as that might imply.