Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Saving a yeast cake.

Old 02-17-2010, 05:32 PM   #1
Finnagann
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Saving a yeast cake.

I saved the yeast cake (about half of it) from a pilsner K & B and its sitting in a 1 gal jug with an airlock atm. It's the kit yeast from Coopers International Pilsner, which is rumoured to be saflager S189. I like this yeast because I can ferrment at the high end of lager range and it stays clean, also doesn't produce much of a sulferous odour (important as my bedroom is where I ferment )

I haven't played with yeast much and I'm wondering what the best course of action is. Should I wash it a few times with boiled/cooled water and then just pitch about half for my next batch? Am I better to use the yeast from the bottles than the yeast from the primary if I'm not pitching directly onto the cake?

Old 02-17-2010, 05:34 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

use the yeast from the primary, its the most flocculating of the yeast you used. wash the yeast before using.