Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > About to re-brew a Cascadian Dark Ale (AG)

Old 02-17-2010, 04:59 AM   #1
Matt Up North
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default About to re-brew a Cascadian Dark Ale (AG)

This will be my third attempt at brewing up the Cascadian Dark Ale (Black IPA) and I dug my last two efforts, but I want to try and get just a touch less "roast" flavor. So I will be mashing in the Carafa III Special only when I begin to sparge in order to get a half hour worth of color, but no real flavor to speak of. I attempted this method my first try with some normal Black Roasted Malt and it "worked" though not really as well as I wanted it to. Still got that coffee like flavor. Here is the recipe as of now, it could well change a good bit, but only in the hops as I don't think I have much amarillo right now. I might run out.

Cascadian Dark Ale #3
10 Gallon

OG 1.080ish / FG 1.015ish / Color 38/ IBU 90ish

30 lbs of Two Row
1.75 lbs Carafa III Special (steeped the last 20minutes of mash)
1.88lbs Crystal 60L

1 Centennial 2.00 FWH
2 Columbus 1.00 FWH
3 Columbus 1.50 60
4 Cascade 2.00 60
5 Amarillo 2.00 20
6 Northern Brewer 1.00 20
7 Cascade 2.00 5
8 Columbus 1.00 5
9 Amarillo 2.00 5
10 Amarillo 2.00 DH
11 Cascade 2.50 DH

2 x US-05 Packet

Mash at 149 for an hour, boil 90min, ferment at 66* for three days and then ramp to 68* for 10 days. Dry hop on day 14 for a week and bottle on day 21.

That is the plan anyways

Old 02-24-2010, 09:22 PM   #2
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Brewed it up, hit my numbers and the color is very nice. It was a great brewday although it rained the entirety and we got 2 inches. Very happy with it and the beer that we drank along with it. My brewing partner was worried that we had too much sediment in a beer that we bottled, but it was just the last of the bottling bucket so it had all of the sediment.

Old 02-24-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
dcp27
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 119 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Did it get you as dark as you wanted?

Old 02-25-2010, 06:36 PM   #4
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Since I was trying for a less roast flavor, I was noticing a little bit less color than I was looking for. That said, it is still very dark. I would say though, it is about 30-35 SRM and when I added the Carafa for the full 60min I got 40SRM and a roasty flavor. So I don't mind getting a hit on some of the color as long as I can limit the roast flavor. Does all that make sense?

Old 02-25-2010, 07:20 PM   #5
dcp27
Recipes 

oh wow, so that short of a soak still pulled off like 75% of the L. Could you notice any carafa flavor/aroma from the sample or was it just pure color from it? That'd be great if this could be done to darken any brew without any unwanted flavor/aroma.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:35 PM   #6
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Don't expect zero flavor/aroma, but just know two things. First off is that Carafa and Roast can darken it up really quickly. Think like coffee. The smallest amount of time that I can figure it needs is 15 minutes and about 20-30 worth of mashing seems to be right (don't forget to count the sparging time after). So I threw this in at 20 minutes left and then figure on a 15 minute sparge, so I am looking at 35 minutes worth of soaking. Next is that for zero aroma or flavor, then you can't really use this stuff. It will give you a little bit of roast flavor, but the hops really cover up a lot of the flavor and aroma. I mean, there are 19oz of hops in this guy!

I ran into some clogging issues because I used whole hops in the boil and no hop bag. That is a mistake I will never make again!

Some people do a steep outside the mash with a french coffee press and then add that liquid to your brew to darken it up. I don't do this because I don't think it makes that big of a difference.

Old 02-25-2010, 07:59 PM   #7
dcp27
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Up North View Post
Next is that for zero aroma or flavor, then you can't really use this stuff. It will give you a little bit of roast flavor, but the hops really cover up a lot of the flavor and aroma. I mean, there are 19oz of hops in this guy!
lol well I imagine there isn't much 19oz of hops wouldn't cover up. That's unfortunate about the aroma/flavor. Does that mean even sinamar adds more than color since its made of carafa? I was hoping to try to make a black witbier, but that doesn't have anywhere near 19oz of hops to cover it up

Old 02-25-2010, 10:37 PM   #8
Matt Up North
Recipes 

You can always try. Just make sure you get the Carafa III Special as it is debittered and doesn't have quite the roasty flavor. It still might throw some roast, so adjust accordingly. Make up a 2 gallon batch so that if it is foul, you only have to drink 10 bottles.

Old 02-25-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts

Matt, this is sort of off topic, but have you considered PNW Pale Malt? It's a 3SRM 2-row that would help you get an extra point or two of color which could help you to use a half pound less of carafa or other dark grain.

I have considered doing something similar, and considered the PNW 2-row a must. It is what all these guys up here use to make their CDA's (and everything else) anyway.

Old 02-25-2010, 11:37 PM   #10
Matt Up North
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post
Matt, this is sort of off topic, but have you considered PNW Pale Malt? It's a 3SRM 2-row that would help you get an extra point or two of color which could help you to use a half pound less of carafa or other dark grain.

I have considered doing something similar, and considered the PNW 2-row a must. It is what all these guys up here use to make their CDA's (and everything else) anyway.
Nope. I have been really close to just use my normal recipe for IIPA and add some dark malts, but I use Crystal 20L in that and I wouldn't get the color I am looking for. As I say, having made this before, I am just fine tuning it to my tastes and have found that I just want less roast. I don't mind a little bit less color. That all said, I will take your advice and maybe search out some PNW two-row. I have gone all over the boards though with American Two Row, British Two Row and Canadian Two Row. So far, I am no more the wiser so to speak. The hops really take over the flavor.