homebrew yeast vs nutritional 'brewers yeast' - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > homebrew yeast vs nutritional 'brewers yeast'

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2010, 07:08 PM   #1
erykmynn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Oakland
Posts: 74


Does anyone know if 'brewers yeast' actually comes from brewing?

I ask because a there are a lot of dog biscuit recipes that call for 'brewers yeast', but I know dogs and hops is a no-no!

So I was wondering if it really comes from brewing leftovers or not... and I'd assume that home brew yeast (not being re-used) is not a very good bet because of the hops (though I suppose a cider would leave a nice cake of dog-safe yeast).

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:32 PM   #2
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


A. Hops are not a problem with dogs.
B. Nutritional brewers yeast is the same yeast, but it is generally grown on molasses. It not a byproduct of brewing.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:37 PM   #3
GilaMinumBeer
Half-fast Prattlarian
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 59,266
Liked 7708 Times on 6291 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
A. Hops are not a problem with dogs.
B. Nutritional brewers yeast is the same yeast, but it is generally grown on molasses. It not a byproduct of brewing.
there are reported cases of Malignant Hyperthermia triggered in dogs (greyhounds seem most suceptible) as caused by dogs eating both raw and spent hops. I haven't found any case studies to explain the actual chemical pathways but, there are several reports online.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 07:38 PM   #4
erykmynn
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Oakland
Posts: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
A. Hops are not a problem with dogs.
I see in another thread you have a greyhound. I have a greyhound mix. Would you be comfortable killing leftover beer yeast to put in treats?

Quote:
Originally Posted by david_42 View Post
B. Nutritional brewers yeast is the same yeast, but it is generally grown on molasses. It not a byproduct of brewing.
interesting. good to know. I wonder if growing some yeast would be cheaper than buying the nutritional supplement....


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:10 PM   #5
mojotele
 
mojotele's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 833
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by erykmynn View Post
I wonder if growing some yeast would be cheaper than buying the nutritional supplement....
I doubt it. The stuff is pretty cheap as it is. Manufacturers can likely produce it cheaper than you could yourself due to economies of scale.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:21 PM   #6
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,216
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by mojotele View Post
I doubt it. The stuff is pretty cheap as it is. Manufacturers can likely produce it cheaper than you could yourself due to economies of scale.
Then again if you just take the trub leftover from primary and wash it (or otherwise separate the yeast), then bake it for a while at low temps, isn't that the same thing? That sounds free to me.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:42 PM   #7
mojotele
 
mojotele's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 833
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
Then again if you just take the trub leftover from primary and wash it (or otherwise separate the yeast), then bake it for a while at low temps, isn't that the same thing? That sounds free to me.
It's not free. It costs however much another pack/vial of yeast would cost if you could have reused it on another beer plus however much your time is worth and the energy spent to bake it (that part is probably grasping at straws, I know).

Then compare the yield to the amount you get in a typical package of the commercial stuff. I really don't think it would be worth it, but to each their own.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Los Angeles
Posts: 8,216
Liked 492 Times on 397 Posts


Quote:
It's not free. It costs however much another pack/vial of yeast would cost if you could have reused it on another beer plus however much your time is worth and the energy spent to bake it (that part is probably grasping at straws, I know).
No it doesn't. Have you ever washed yeast and reused it? You end up with way more viable yeast than you need for the next batch. Maybe 4-5x as much. I always end up throwing away yeast after washing because there's just too much of it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 11:55 PM   #9
DKershner
 
DKershner's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Bend, OR
Posts: 1,870
Liked 28 Times on 23 Posts


Dogs + Hops is a sticky here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/dang...r-pets-108935/

The general consensus is that there is no correlation between dogs, hops, and illness, but you can be as careful as you want to be.

You could use the yeast to make dog biscuits, or use the spent grain to make dog biscuits and actually have a free commodity. That's another post around here somewhere.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 05:01 AM   #10
mojotele
 
mojotele's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Baltimore, MD
Posts: 833
Liked 18 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdboy View Post
No it doesn't. Have you ever washed yeast and reused it? You end up with way more viable yeast than you need for the next batch. Maybe 4-5x as much. I always end up throwing away yeast after washing because there's just too much of it.
Yes, I've washed and reused yeast. How much excess you end up with depends on how much you want to save, I suppose.

Anyway, it is my opinion that it isn't worth it. I have no real empirical evidence to back that up and, from the looks of it, no one has any empirical evidence to back up the opposing viewpoint either. I acknowledge that you could save money doing it, but my guess is that you won't save much or you won't save anything.

If someone wants to give it a go, though, they shouldn't let my opinion discourage them. Only an actual experiment can prove either of our theories, and it's always nice to find alternative uses to what would otherwise be waste materials.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Question about Brewers Yeast cljacobus Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 1 12-20-2009 09:33 PM
How to find the nutritional value of your homebrew? skibb General Beer Discussion 37 08-27-2009 04:35 PM
Gingerbeer with Brewers yeast Sellerbe Recipes/Ingredients 2 07-24-2009 04:44 PM
Where To Buy Fresh Brewers Yeast Tinker Dill Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 5 05-08-2008 03:53 PM
Why brewers yeast? tempted-fate Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 09-02-2005 12:37 AM


Forum Jump