Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > why do you leave wort in primary for 28 days

Old 02-16-2010, 04:49 AM   #11
amh0001
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

For my first ten batches or so, I mis understood the whole "conditioning" phase. I had read that pretty much after ten or so days (with simple styles) that you beer was done fermenting. I would then bottle. This lead to many off flavors in my beer.

I now leave my beer in primary for 3 weeks and the taste is WAY better. Letting the beer condition allows time for the yeast to start breaking down off flavors and complex sugars. You want to do this in your carboy. When you bottle it, the yeast work very slowly under pressure.

"....yeast have to start growing an army to best eat the sugar, so they have a wild orgy and then make a bunch of yeast babies." - Revvy

Old 02-16-2010, 05:24 AM   #12
kaiser423
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I do it because I am lazy.

But more seriously, the more I let the trub settle, the more beer that I can get into the bottle/keg without having floaties. More beer per batch = good. The beer also just seems more "done" when everything is settled and compacted properly rather than still having things floating around in it.

Any relations to the Sims family out of Farmington, NM?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:43 AM   #13
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 530 Times on 424 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I find that bulk conditioning is faster than bottle conditioning. I've brewed the same beer twice and bottled after 2 weeks and it took a couple months in the bottle after carbonating before it really got good. Next time I brewed it I gave it 3 weeks in primary and 1 in secondary, and the beer was good as soon as it was carbonated. It was like the extra two weeks in bulk was equal to two months in the bottle.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:36 AM   #14
sims_l22
Recipes 

Likes Given: 2

No relation to the sims family in Farmington,NM
•Primary #1: Empty
•Primary #2: Empty
•Secondary: Empty
•Secondary: Empty
•Conditioning:
•Future: Robust Porter
•Future: Breakfast Stout
•Future: Imperial Pale Ale
•Future: Belgium Triple Ale
•Drinking:
•Drinking:

Old 02-16-2010, 02:38 PM   #15
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Flatline summed up the carbonation aspect. About all I'll add is the extra time allows the beer to clear. With 4-5 weeks in the fermenter, I can go straight to the keg and not worry about sediment clogging the system.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 02-16-2010, 02:44 PM   #16
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by BierMuncher View Post
It's likely that what you perceived to be "fuller flavor" was simply a yeast-dense beer that had not completely attenuated and was still sweet from non-fermented sugars. Now that the beer is fermented and the sugars converted to alcohol, the beer is indeed thinner.

Almost every brewer will attest that tasting fully fermented and properly conditioned beer out of a secondary will yield disappointing (thin and flavorless) taste results.

Carbonation is a huge component of rounding out the flavor and mouthfeel profile. See the beer through and don't judge your product until it is "final".
Yep, +1 to this
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 02-16-2010, 06:05 PM   #17
EricCSU
Recipes 

Liked 58 Times on 29 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I brewed a Wit that was horrible every step of the way (no off flavors, just didn't taste like a Wit). Even at 5 days of keg carbonating, it wasn't very good. At day 8, it was carbed to the right level and it was a different beer. The correct carbonation level is very important. And don't give up on a beer

Eric

Fermenting: Arrogant Bastard Clone, BCS Dry stout

Planned: Rye IPA, ESB, Oatmeal Pale Ale, Rye Amber

Can You Brew It Recipe Database
Convert an all grain recipe to extract
Hop Substitution Chart