Barrel aged beer question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Barrel aged beer question

Old 02-15-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

So, I've got about another week or two until I plan on racking a barleywine out of my 5.25 gallon barrel. I plan on letting it sit in a carboy for a few more weeks to round out the bourbon notes.

My question is, will I need to add fresh yeast before I bottle it? I have kegging capabilities, but I think I'd rather bottle it and wax the caps. I am just concerned that after 4+ weeks in the bourbon barrel, and the beers high alcohol, won't leave much viable yeast.

Anybody have any suggestions?

Thanks!

Old 02-15-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
ShortSnoutBrewing
Kwanesum Chinook Illahee
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Oct 2007
Portland, OR
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts

Force carb in the keg and bottle from there.

Old 02-16-2010, 12:00 AM   #3
Irrenarzt
HNIC
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Aug 2009
Half a mile from Tucson
Liked 167 Times on 119 Posts

Beer gun FTW

Old 02-16-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

@ Irrenarzt-"FTW"? What does that stand for?

Old 02-16-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
MarsColonist
Recipes 

Jul 2008
Live Music Capital of the World, Texas
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by I_B_Mongo View Post
@ Irrenarzt-"FTW"? What does that stand for?
For The Win.

4+ weeks in a 5.25gal barrel? Just curious if you have sampled that beer along the way... the surface area/beer volume in that size barrel is pretty high. I would think it would be a might overpowering with the oak for that long... curious to hear about the oakiness of the barleywine

"Luck is when opportunity meets preparation" - Seneca

Austin Zealots

Old 02-16-2010, 06:58 PM   #6
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxhavoc View Post
For The Win.

4+ weeks in a 5.25gal barrel? Just curious if you have sampled that beer along the way... the surface area/beer volume in that size barrel is pretty high. I would think it would be a might overpowering with the oak for that long... curious to hear about the oakiness of the barleywine
I sampled it this weekend (which would be about 3 weeks). The oakiness is very nice...the only thing that is a bit overpowering is the bourbon (it was a bourbon barrel from a craft distiller before). But I figured I can let it age in a carboy for a few weeks to mellow it out.

Old 02-16-2010, 08:14 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

FWIW, I did a Robust Porter as the first brew in my 5 gal barrel and after 3 weeks the whiskey was kinda strong but the wood not so much. I kegged it at 3 weeks. After a month conditioning it seems the whiskey flavor has subsided a bit and now I can detect a vanilla note. Porter #2 is in there now and I intend to go ~4 weeks with it, then Porter #3 for ~5 weeks. I'm hoping that over subsequent brews the whiskey flavor will fade a bit and I'll get more of the wood.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-16-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpanishCastleAle View Post
FWIW, I did a Robust Porter as the first brew in my 5 gal barrel and after 3 weeks the whiskey was kinda strong but the wood not so much. I kegged it at 3 weeks. After a month conditioning it seems the whiskey flavor has subsided a bit and now I can detect a vanilla note. Porter #2 is in there now and I intend to go ~4 weeks with it, then Porter #3 for ~5 weeks. I'm hoping that over subsequent brews the whiskey flavor will fade a bit and I'll get more of the wood.
@SpanishCastleAle, what did you do w/ the barrel between beers, or did you just time it so that one went in after one came out?

Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 PM   #9
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Jan 2009
Central Florida
Liked 36 Times on 36 Posts

Timed it except for a day or so. Porter #3 is sitting in a carboy (brewed 4 weeks ago) and is poised for the barrel whenever I am. I did make a 50:50 mixture of water and scotch (only whisky on hand, Highland Park 15 no less!) and sloshed it around and then let it drain for a while before Porter #2 went in. Intend to do the same between #2 and #3. Porter #1 is absolutely delicious.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-16-2010, 09:03 PM   #10
I_B_Mongo
Recipes 

Jul 2009
Kansas City, Missouri
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Thanks. I wish I had the organization skills to be so well planned. I'll just have to do the whiskey & water while my next brew is in primary. I plan on putting a porter in next, so it's nice to hear how well yours turned out.