Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Head retention and lacing

Old 02-13-2010, 02:16 AM   #1
PatientZero
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Head retention and lacing

I've noticed about about ten batches of beer that I am capable of producing beers with amazing lacing, but very little head retention (half a centimeter of head is a liberal estimate). Has anyone else had an issue similar to this? Know of any way to solve the problem?

Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:31 AM   #2
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6208 Times on 4421 Posts
Likes Given: 1656

Usually, it's just a matter of correct ingredients. Some flaked barley, flaked wheat, carapis, etc, all can be used to aid in head retention. Caramel/crystal malts also help.

Another consideration is having bar-clean glassware. Having some soap residue, or rinse agents in the dishwasher, on the glass will kill any head on the beer.

Can you post a typical recipe, so we can see what is already in there and give some pointers on adjusting it?

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-13-2010, 02:48 AM   #3
PatientZero
Recipes 

Yes and no. I have made extract recipes so far, and made my jump to partial mash in 5 gallon batches and all grain in 2 gallons recently as well, but haven't cracked one open because they are all still green.
Perhaps it's just an extract thing. If it is, please let me know. If not, I'll definitely post a recipe or two.

Flaked wheat and barley make sense, now that I think about it. Since they're unmalted, does it have anything to do with the gluten protein that they carry?
Well, duh, might as, might as well ask why is a tree good? Why is the sunset good? Why are boobs good? Man, firecrackers, ya stick 'em in mailboxes, you drop 'em in toilets, shove 'em up bullfrogs asses.

Just is.