Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > cara-pils vs flaked oats...when to use what?

Old 02-12-2010, 05:54 PM   #1
MonkeyWrench
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default cara-pils vs flaked oats...when to use what?

When do I use one over the other? And what are the different characteristics each impart?

I know both are used for head retention and mouth feel. Obvoiusly you would not use oats in a pale because of the haze, but what about in a wit?

Would you ever use both in a recipe? What would be the result of .5lb cara-pils and .5lb oats in the same 5 gal batch?

Old 02-12-2010, 06:31 PM   #2
Southside
Recipes 

Carapils improves head retention and mouthfeel, however flaked oats improves head retention and adds a creaminess to the mouthfeel of the beer. I use Flaked Oats in only in my stouts. I stopped buying and using carapils because it was just something that made my beer cost more. I just mash at 154 instead of 151 or 152 and you still get the head retention and but it drops you fermentables a little so you can just add an extra pound or two of base malt. 1 pund of base malt is a lot cheaper than a pound of Carapils. Hope that helps

Old 02-12-2010, 06:34 PM   #3
mmb
FFS, really?
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3384 Times on 3265 Posts
Likes Given: 223

Oats also seem to add a slick/oily mouthfeel where as Carapils just seem to add body.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:35 PM   #4
Southside
Recipes 

Also in a Wit your wheat malt will give you your head retention so I wouldnt use either in a recipe with a lot of wheat malt. You can also add wheat malt to gain head retention. just add like a pound or so per 10 gallon batch. My APA I mash at 154 and also have 1 piound of wheat the head stays on my beer all the way to the bottom of the glass.

Old 02-12-2010, 06:42 PM   #5
Bob
Recipes 

Liked 133 Times on 100 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Southside has a point. Both contribute something different, though their descriptions are very similar. Foam retention is enhanced by either. Mouthfeel is enhanced by both, but the specific feel imparted by each is different. I find flaked oats to be slick, almost oily if used in quantity, and CaraPils just feels "firmer".

I wouldn't use both. They're both tools. Select a specific tool for a specific job; if you use all tools available to you, at best you'll over-complicate things and at worst you'll ruin your project. Brewing is no different than carpentry in that respect.

Flaked oats can really enhance beers, regardless of style. Haze is only really an issue if you exceed 5% of the grist. I've used flaked oats in Bitter before and it turned out really well - good flavor, excellent mouthfeel (Real Ale condition) and no haze at all.

Southside is also right that CaraPils is a crutch you don't really need as a mashing brewer (I'm assuming you're a mashing brewer because you're talking about ingredients which must be mashed to be really effective). If you're concerned about mouthfeel and body, examine your mashing procedure before you bring in another ingredient. Same with foam retention: Procedure and technique have a large impact on that, as does the selection of base malt in the grist.

If something is off, 95% of the time it's the operator, not the tool.

Edited to add: Flaked oats totally rock in Witbier. I use 'em in my Witbier recipe.

Cheers!

Bob

Old 02-12-2010, 06:46 PM   #6
ChshreCat
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 532 Times on 426 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Just to confuse things...

Flaked barley

Old 02-12-2010, 07:38 PM   #7
SpanishCastleAle
Recipes 

Liked 35 Times on 35 Posts

Quote:
...CaraPils is a crutch...
No it's not. It's a 'tool' just like the others.
Early brewers were primarily women, mostly because it was deemed a woman's job. Mesopotamian men, of some 3,800 years ago, were obviously complete assclowns and had yet to realize the pleasure of brewing beer.- Beer Advocate

Old 02-12-2010, 07:46 PM   #8
DavidSteel
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I used 8oz flaked barley and cara-pils in my (I)IIPA, it won't be done for another 2 months-ish, so I can't say what the result is like yet lol. This is an IIPA I used (.8lbs of) carapils for:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/best...l-time-160477/
Bottled: Ó Flannagáin Standard, Random Stout, Nut Brown, Edwort's Rye IPA, Milk Stout + Coffee Milk Stout, Centennial Blonde, Pale Ale, Cthulhu Dementia Robust Porter, Nyarlathotep (I)IIPA, Willamette IPA parti-gyle, Indian Brown Ale, Oatmeal Stout, Blueberry Oatmeal Stout, Barely Legal IIPA, Oatmeal Stout 2, Hazelnut Coffee Oatmeal Stout
Planned: RIS, Coconut Porter

Old 02-12-2010, 07:52 PM   #9
Laughing_Gnome_Invisible
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 636 Times on 470 Posts
Likes Given: 103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Flaked oats can really enhance beers, regardless of style. Haze is only really an issue if you exceed 5% of the grist. I've used flaked oats in Bitter before and it turned out really well - good flavor, excellent mouthfeel (Real Ale condition) and no haze at all.
+1. Although out of style, I use flaked oats (Well, quick oats) in my bitter. It gives a nice smooth feel with no haze whatsoever. at 3.5% or even a bit higher.

Old 02-12-2010, 08:14 PM   #10
Houblon
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 15 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post

If you're concerned about mouthfeel and body, examine your mashing procedure before you bring in another ingredient. Same with foam retention: Procedure and technique have a large impact on that, as does the selection of base malt in the grist.
+1
I like the way you think and agree 100%

MO/Crystal + hops =