Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > Electric Question

Old 02-12-2010, 10:46 PM   #21
zGrubermeister
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
Id feed the panel with a 4 wire... then run the three wire (HOT, HOT, GROUND) to the BK. This gives you the neutral for 120VAC items and a ground for grounding
I realize that would be ideal but the dryer plug in my apartment is a three prong. I've read places that the neutral on a Nema 10-30 is bound to a ground in the breaker box, if that is true then it should have a grounding affect if "grounded" to the BK, correct or no?

Old 02-12-2010, 10:48 PM   #22
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGrubermeister View Post
I realize that would be ideal but the dryer plug in my apartment is a three prong. I've read places that the neutral on a Nema 10-30 is bound to a ground in the breaker box, if that is true then it should have a grounding affect if "grounded" to the BK, correct or no?
Well, I mean the ground and neutral are bonded in the main panel, but with this logic, no one would run a ground to any outlet?

I see what you are saying, it isnt an ideal situation.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:04 PM   #23
zGrubermeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I guess I could borrow a ground from a nearby 120v outlet using a modified plug.

Old 02-12-2010, 11:11 PM   #24
The Pol
Recipes 

Liked 81 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by zGrubermeister View Post
I guess I could borrow a ground from a nearby 120v outlet using a modified plug.
You could rewire your dryer with the now standard 4 prong plug, put in the new outlet and bam, there you have your 4 prong, 4 wire outlet?!

Old 02-12-2010, 11:20 PM   #25
zGrubermeister
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pol View Post
You could rewire your dryer with the now standard 4 prong plug, put in the new outlet and bam, there you have your 4 prong, 4 wire outlet?!
I've thought about that. I just really don't want to have to buy two more dryer cords (4 wire) and a 4 prong outlet which is why I am now skipping around the idea of just borrowing a ground from another outlet. Sorry, I guess I'm really just looking for reassurance that I won't get shocked as long as I wire everything up solidly.

Edit: I went ahead and bought two 4 wire dryer cords and a 4 prong outlet on the cheap. I was able to find those things for $26.69 shipped off a site called Mogiz.com which I've never heard of but it had good reviews on Google shopping.