Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Newbs first all-grain.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:11 AM   #1
Jeepsn beer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Default Newbs first all-grain.

I'm going to attempt my first all-grain brew this weekend. It will be (hopefully) an Oktoberfest. My equiptment is a basic cooler masher. I'm looking for tips that might help me avoid issues. For example what should my dough-in temp be in order to achieve a mash temp closer to ideal (150 f. )
My recipe is -- 8 lbs Vienna
3 lbs Munich
3 lbs G. Pilsner
1.5 lbs Honey malt
1.5 lbs Cara Red
1.5 lbs Cara Munich
1 oz Hallertaur for 60 minutes
White labs Oktoberfest 830 yeast

I'm really sort of winging this batch because I haven't mastered the mathematical sciences yet of AG. I'm going to start with 4.5 gallons of water, recirc. once and sparge with another 4 gallons at 170 f. hopefully netting around 6 gallons of wort around 1.052.
If I'm off base please chime in. The books I've read don't compare to first hand input IMO.

Old 11-11-2006, 01:46 AM   #2
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

To hit your target mash temps more accuratly, make sure you have lots of hot water at the ready. I assume cold water won't be an issue.

From your posted recipie, it looks like you'll get a high gravity all right.
I don't use nearly that much for a 1060 gravity brew. Is that a tried recipie?

Old 11-11-2006, 03:50 AM   #3
Jeepsn beer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Your right about the gravity being too high for my listed grain volume. The original recipe out of Zymology mag called for a total of 14 lbs. of grain. I posted 18 lbs. which is what I actually bought due to an alternate mashing technique (infusion) that they talked about in the recipe which required 25% more grain. I will most likely use the method I listed with 25% less grain each. Was undecided and hoped to get ideas from forum members.

Old 11-11-2006, 02:55 PM   #4
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I just punched this into Beersmith and your gravity will be very high unless you are down at 50% efficiency.

If you are using a 5 gallon cooler I think you may have a hard time fitting all 18.5 lbs of grain in there.

If you reduce your grain bill to 6, 2, 2, 1, 1, 1, lbs. you will be in style anywhere between 65% and 70% efficiency. My guess is that this grain bill will fit in your cooler much better and will yield a much higher efficiency for you with a batch your size too.

Also, the hallertauer hops in BeerSmith is 4.8 AA and only yields 10 IBU with a single 1 ounce 60 minute addition. Unless yours is a lot higher AA you'll want more to get into the style range. Of course if you like your beer with much less bitterness then go for it!

Old 11-12-2006, 02:28 AM   #5
Jeepsn beer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet. The original recipe does call for 13 lbs of grain which is what I am going to use. Looks like it'll be Sunday or Monday eve before I get a chance to tackle this batch. The IBU stated by the recipe was 23. They listed the Hallertaurs at 5.2. Mine are 3.9 AA and I have 2 ounces. If I add the 2 ozs for 60 min will that put me in the 23 IBU range.

Old 11-12-2006, 06:05 PM   #6
dantodd

Recipes 

BeerSmith is similar to ProMash but I found it simpler to use than ProMash.

You can get a demo program at www.beersmith.com and I'd suggest at least downloading it to see how you like it compared to promash before you pay for one.

Old 11-12-2006, 07:22 PM   #7
boo boo
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsn beer
Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet. The original recipe does call for 13 lbs of grain which is what I am going to use. Looks like it'll be Sunday or Monday eve before I get a chance to tackle this batch. The IBU stated by the recipe was 23. They listed the Hallertaurs at 5.2. Mine are 3.9 AA and I have 2 ounces. If I add the 2 ozs for 60 min will that put me in the 23 IBU range.
In which case they gave you the weight of the hops also. So do the math and convert into alpha acid units. Should be easy from there.

Old 11-12-2006, 09:26 PM   #8
dantodd

Recipes 

at 3.9 AA and 3oz you'll end up with 24.5 IBU.

You can hit 23 IBU almost exactly with 2.5 at 60 min and then the other 1/2 oz at 20 min. Of course this will give you more hop aroma and flavor so you may want to stick with 3oz at 60min.

Old 11-14-2006, 05:11 AM   #9
Jeepsn beer

Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

Thanks for the info. I've been flipping back through Palmers book and I've listened to several hours of podcasts on AG brewing techniques. I'll check out the other program and compare before picking one. Thanks for the link.

Old 11-14-2006, 12:59 PM   #10
EdWort

Recipes 

Liked 309 Times on 160 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeepsn beer
Thanks, is Beersmith a program like Potmash. I have a demo of Potmash but don't know how to use it yet.
I think you need to get some papers or a bong to use it properly.