choices in ATL - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Brewing Events & Local Gatherings > South East Homebrew Forum > choices in ATL

Old 02-08-2010, 04:17 PM   #11
jheist
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Another vote for Brick Store. Love that place and its pretty unique. Taco Mac is also a great choice (a ridiculous amount of beer options). Porter in little 5 points is great too.

Not a big fan of 5 seasons but thats just me (too expensive for what you get in the food category)

Old 02-08-2010, 05:00 PM   #12
mrmekon
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

5 Seasons North is my favorite -- spent grain bread and the best beer in Georgia. The one at the Prado is good, but not nearly as good. I believe 5 Seasons West is equal to or better than North, but haven't been yet. I'd say:

Beer & Food-wise:
5 Seasons North/West > Brick Store > Taco Mac > 5 Seasons Prado

However, price-wise I'd say:
Taco Mac > Brick Store > 5 Seasons.

And service wise:
5 Seasons >> Brick Store > Taco Mac.

Brick Store, however, is more impressive and 'important' than the others.

Bottled :

Old 02-11-2010, 03:22 PM   #13
johnnyc
Recipes 

Jan 2009
North Atlanta, GA
Liked 9 Times on 7 Posts

So where'd you go? If you haven't yet http://news.draftmag.com/2010/02/11/...-2009-georgia/

Fermenting: Yooper's Oktoberfest

Old 02-11-2010, 03:33 PM   #14
aekdbbop

Recipes 

Sep 2006
Nashville, TN
Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

went to 5 seasons, food was way over priced, but beer was pretty good..

unfortunently it turned out that is all we had time for.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:51 PM   #15
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aekdbbop View Post
went to 5 seasons, food was way over priced, but beer was pretty good..

unfortunently it turned out that is all we had time for.
That is my problem with 5 Seasons too. I think their beer is over priced as well. I can get a pint of commercially brewed beer from The Porter or The Brick Store for less than at 5 Seasons. I know that you are paying for the fresh element, blah, blah. But, really, I just don't understand charging $7 for a pint of 3.8% beer.

Old 02-11-2010, 03:56 PM   #16
mrmekon
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
That is my problem with 5 Seasons too. I think their beer is over priced as well. I can get a pint of commercially brewed beer from The Porter or The Brick Store for less than at 5 Seasons. I know that you are paying for the fresh element, blah, blah. But, really, I just don't understand charging $7 for a pint of 3.8% beer.
Then you should try their $25 beers!

They had 50% off all beers for their anniversary a few weeks ago, so we finally tried some of those bottles. Definitely worth $12.50 to me. The Barleywine is great, and the Reserve 500 is some sort of magic beer elixer.
Bottled :

Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM   #17
Beerrific

Recipes 

Mar 2007
Georgia
Liked 54 Times on 46 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmekon View Post
Then you should try their $25 beers!

They had 50% off all beers for their anniversary a few weeks ago, so we finally tried some of those bottles. Definitely worth $12.50 to me. The Barleywine is great, and the Reserve 500 is some sort of magic beer elixer.
Is that for 750mL? I would try one for $12.50. It would have to beer one of the best beers in the world for me to spend $25 (Cantillon Grand Cru, RR Consecration).

I think I have had some of their BW, it was very good. All their beer is good, that is prat of the problem for me. If their beer sucked, I would never go back.

Old 02-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #18
jheist
Recipes 

Mar 2009
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Their beer is pretty good but really only the expensive bottles and the food is far too expensive. I guess I just prefer the seemingly limitless selection offered by the other places. Plus that Belgian bar at brick store is tough to beat.

Old 02-11-2010, 06:03 PM   #19
mrmekon
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Stockholm, Sweden
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beerrific View Post
Is that for 750mL? I would try one for $12.50. It would have to beer one of the best beers in the world for me to spend $25 (Cantillon Grand Cru, RR Consecration).

I think I have had some of their BW, it was very good. All their beer is good, that is prat of the problem for me. If their beer sucked, I would never go back.
Yep, I believe they are 750ml. At $12.50 they're comparable price to bottles from the liquor store, and definitely hold their own in quality.

Edit: Actually, I'll bet they're only 22oz. I just remembered seeing them on the shelf and there was a slightly larger bottle next to it, which I believe was a 750.

I'm also somewhat of a 'foodie', so the prices keep me from being a regular but I still love everything they have to offer. I think that their special events are the way to go to get a big sampling of food and beer for an expensive-but-not-unreasonable price.
Bottled :

Old 04-11-2010, 12:21 PM   #20
Starderup
Recipes 

Mar 2010
Atlanta
Liked 16 Times on 15 Posts

Been to them a few times. I'd recommend them in this order:
1. Brick Store
2. 5 Seasons
3. Taco Mac

If you want to watcha a game, got to got to #3, but Brick Store is unlike anything else I have ever been to. Great food and amazing beer menu.