Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer Fridge Question
Old 02-07-2010, 06:17 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Beer Fridge Question

A while back I took an old fridge from my dad's place and cleaned it up (thoroughly) to use as a beer fridge in my basement. While I've been waiting for my first two batches to be ready I've put a couple of cases of Miller Light in the fridge. (go ahead and insert joke here)

What I've noticed is that after being in the fridge for about a day, the beer really tastes bad. (I know some think that Miller Light tastes bad anyway, but this is different)

The cans are not hard like they are all the way carbed. There is a little give to them after being in this fridge and the beer tastes like it is going flat or is oxidized or something. It has that cardboard taste.

Can a fridge do this? Is it too cold? I don't think that would be the problem. I cleaned it thoroughly with a bleach solution as there was mold all over the inside of the fridge and freezer.

This has happened on two different occasions. Any help is appreciated. Thanks. Just seems like a waste of beer to me.

Old 02-07-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

I think I'd try with a different beer before I started blaming the fridge.
Old 02-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #3
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 3976 Times on 2694 Posts
Likes Given: 2876

Hard to imagine that anything untowards is happening to the beer inside the cans. The cans themselves may be picking up some mildew aroma, which might be affecting the taste if you are drinking from the can.
It's the most wonderful time of the year
There'll be much mistletoeing
And hearts will be glowing
When love ones are near
It's the most wonderful time of the year