Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Original Gravity problem

Old 11-14-2006, 04:40 AM   #11
Mike B
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewsmith
Are you sure you ended up with 5 gallons? How are you measuring the volume in your fermenter? My other thought is how is the DME packaged? Is it generic and packaged by the LHBS or a name brand? Are they ripping you off and putting less in the bag?
Yes, five gallons. I use a little guage on the side of the fermenter. After having the problem with the first batch, I checked this to make sure it is accurate. The marking is a little bit off, but no more than a few cups.

Interesting note on the DME, though. It's generic, and I haven't double-checked the weight on it. I'm pretty sure the LHBS owner is on the level (really cool, helpful guy), but that's definitely something to investigate.

On the water/wort mix question, I'm pretty sure that it's mixed well when I take a sample, because I really slosh it around to aerate the wort. Perhaps next time, I'll use my siphon to get a sample from the middle, rather than from the top with a measuring cup . . .

Thanks to you and everyone else for your suggestions! In the meantime, I'll stop worrying about it, relax, and have a homebrew.

Cheers,
-Mike

Old 11-14-2006, 05:47 AM   #12
dantodd
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

unfortunately water + malt extract = OG. One of those two components is off. Assuming you are using anything resembling potable water it has to be the extract. Either his scale is off or there is something wrong with his stock.