Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > Imperial cider experiment

Old 02-06-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Imperial cider experiment

I was telling one of my friends how I make cider from storebought juice, and how I backsweeten with concentrate, and why you can't really do that in the bottle, etc, and we got to talking. Here's the idea:

Start with a 5gal carboy with 3 gallons of treetop juice (est OG 1.050). Pitch a healthy dose of ale yeast with some nutrient, and allow that to ferment mostly to completion. Add 12oz of treetop juice concentrate (est OG 1.200-1.225). Allow this to ferment, and repeat. If a total of sixteen 12oz containers of concentrate are added, this will net 4.5gal of cider with an effective OG of 1.100-1.108 with the help of no sugar other than that which came from an apple.

Perhaps I should try this once with 1 gallon of juice and 5 cans of concentrate.

On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]

Old 02-06-2010, 04:37 PM   #2
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts

It might be interesting to try it with a small batch of only concentrate. Mix water and concentrate until you get an OG of ~1.090ish (unless you want to go higher). An entire pack of Notty should be plenty of yeast for a 1 gallon batch with that gravity. Hopefully, the ale yeast won't ferment it completely and leave you just below 1.020?

Old 02-06-2010, 05:26 PM   #3
Coastarine
We get it, you hate BMC.
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 23 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Complete fermentation is fine with me, I'll backsweeten in the keg to taste. With this method, the gravity will never be higher than 1.050. I am taking a page from the playbook of the Utopias cloners.
On Tap.........[The Munchner][Spiced Cider][English Cider][Simcoe IPA][Triple Hops Grooved][Cider'n 'gnac]