C&C Pale Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smizak

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
US-05
Yeast Starter
Nope.
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
~45
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Never
Additional Fermentation
In the bottle?
Tasting Notes
Superb hop aroma and flavor, moderately bitter, nice bready malt
What I love about this recipe is that you can substitute whatever pair of C-hops you want and it always comes out amazing, but with slightly different hop character. I've made it with Cascade & Centennial, Columbus & Centennial, and the latest with Citra & Centennial. The Citra has a great tropical aroma with just a hint of spicy/cattiness.

Efficiency ~ 70%

Grain Bill:
----------------------------
10 lbs American 2-row
1 lb Munich
1 lb Vienna
0.5 Caramel 20
0.5 Caramel 40
0.5 Victory

Mash 60 min.@ 153F

Hop Schedule:
----------------------------
1 oz. The higher alpha C hop - 60 min.

1/2 tsp. Wyeast Yeast Nutrient - 10 min.

0.5 oz. C hop1 - 10 min.
0.5 oz. C hop2 - 10 min.

1 Whirlfloc Tablet - 5 min.

0.5 oz. C hop1 - 5 min.
0.5 oz. C hop2 - 5 min.

1 oz. C hop1 - 0 min.
1 oz. C hop2 - 0 min.

Shooting for around 1.060 SG and a 1.013 FG for ~6.0% ABV

~9.5 SRM

40-50 IBU's (hops depending)

Ferment @ 67F with a clean American Ale yeast. I really like US-05 for my hoppy beers, ferments out nice and dry and makes the hops pop.

Dry hop with 1 oz. of the C hop whose aroma you like better or split them 1/2 oz. apiece.

This malt bill looks like a great way for me to go. I have been brewing a series of single-hops pale ales. 2.5 gallon batches: 5# 2-row, 1# crystal 20L & then some sort of "C" hops (Cascade, Centennial, Chinook, Citra, Columus, Amarillo or Simcoe). Well the Citra, Amarillo and Simcoe didn't fare well by themselves. The Centennial was the best, followed closely by Columbus, Chinook, and Cascade.
Next I am going to start mixing the hops like you have done. I think I will use a blend of the malts you used too. I really want to mix Centennial, Columbus and Chinook.
Thanks for posting!

I've played with the malt bill, I used twice as much Munich and Vienna, as well as a full pound of C20. It was a little too sweet and was more an Amber beer. This recipe, IMO, has the perfect bready, slightly toasty finish with just a tad of sweetness. You can get the IBU's up pretty high and the malt bill will balance it nicely. If you brew it, let me know how it turns out!

:mug:

Back