will autolyzed beer ever recover? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > will autolyzed beer ever recover?
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 02-05-2010, 06:35 AM   #1
eggbeater59
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default will autolyzed beer ever recover?

i'm a couple AG's in, and ended up with one of *those* packets of nottingham. after a 2 week krausen, i knew something was up... it took forever for my fg to come down. i think my beer sat on the yeast cake for about a month. i figured it would probably be okay, but that's not the case...
come kegging time, the beer tastes absolutely horrid. it tastes like i did a smash with only roasted barley =\
i havn't dumped yet, i just unhooked it and planned my next brew. now i i have dude's lake walk pale bubbling away
think my *extra dark roast* nut brown will ever not taste like snot?

Old 02-05-2010, 06:43 AM   #2
WorryWort
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I wouldn't necessarily jump to the conclusion that it is autolyzed. However, what do I know, I haven't had your beer!

To answer the original question - If it's autolyzed it won't go away.

In Kegs - Barley Wine, Apfelwein, Wild BlackBerry Wheat, Coffee Oatmeal Porter

Gone - so many :(

Old 02-05-2010, 07:19 AM   #3
wetherel
Recipes 

I'm doubting autolysis after a month. Brett can clean up off aromas like autolysis.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:34 AM   #4
h4rdluck
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts

yea i don't see how it could be autolized after a month in anyway unless something went horrible and you have killed your yeast (Aka dumped salt in your beer). Autolysis isn't just some overnight process...its a long drawn out process thats more common in wine making where it really has to sit around a LONG time.

I really feel like autolysis is another one of those homebrew myths that just really doesn't happen that much...but everyone talks incessantly about.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:54 AM   #5

From what I know, autolysis gives a burnt rubber taste anyway, which is not what you're describing.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:50 PM   #6
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Well, I fermented a batch with not one, but two of "those" packets of Notty (and finally, 4+ days later, a good packet). Let's just say it's not pretty. Mine starts off clovey and then (as SWMBO said, and I agree with her) tastes like you'd imagine poison tastes.

I'm going to let the bottles age as long as I can stand, but I have very low expectations.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:01 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleozzy View Post
Well, I fermented a batch with not one, but two of "those" packets of Notty (and finally, 4+ days later, a good packet). Let's just say it's not pretty. Mine starts off clovey and then (as SWMBO said, and I agree with her) tastes like you'd imagine poison tastes.

I'm going to let the bottles age as long as I can stand, but I have very low expectations.
Doesn't sound like autolysis at all. Sounds like fermentation byproducts. Sounds like you fermented very warm. What was your temp? I think Notty's been having a lot of issues too, but I don't use it at all and never have, so I can't comment on what fermentation byproducts it gives.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:10 PM   #8
Edcculus
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

So clovey (phenolics) and maybe some solvent like flavors? Not autolysis. Sounds like warm fermentation, stressed yeast from a bad pack. Not that autolysis isn't possible, but its typically not a problem with these defective Notty packs. If your beer has been consistently above 80F, then I'd say autolysis is possible.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
uncleozzy
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattHollingsworth View Post
Doesn't sound like autolysis at all. Sounds like fermentation byproducts. Sounds like you fermented very warm. What was your temp? I think Notty's been having a lot of issues too, but I don't use it at all and never have, so I can't comment on what fermentation byproducts it gives.
Fermented between 64-68F, according to the stick-on fermometer (which has generally been accurate). It was the recalled Notty: virtually no activity until I could get my hands on a fresh packet, 4+ days after first pitching (at which point it took right off).

I can only guess there was a relatively weak infection that caused the poison-like off-flavors (and probably the initial impression of phenols), but was eventually overcome by the yeast. Autolysis from the two packets of dead/weak yeast? I don't know, but I suppose it's possible. But definitely nasty stuff caused by the very slow start (which is what I think actually happened to eggbeater59's beer).

Old 02-05-2010, 03:14 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3143 Times on 1860 Posts
Likes Given: 3876

I agree with Edcculus, it's not autolysis, that would be smelling like gorilla poop in a diaper left on a desert highway for 3 days. It's really difficult to have autolysis in our homebrew.

Seems like phenolics to me.

I will say I have had some experience with off flavors from too high fermentation actually cleaning up with time, a long time. So I might just walk away from it for a few months, before deciding to dump or not.

I talk about it here. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f39/neve...en-beer-73254/

Your mileage may very, but it's worth a shot.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew