All Grain brew question - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > All Grain brew question

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-04-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
Azharen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Springfield
Posts: 43


I'm still very new to brewing. From the economical aspect, I want to go all grain. My question is if I have simply have a 30qt stockpot and a good propane burner; can I just to boil my whole brew in one pot and not have to sparge or use any of the other fancy equipment?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:51 PM   #2
GilaMinumBeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
GilaMinumBeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Posts: 58,354
Liked 7399 Times on 6076 Posts


Still need a mash tun, but a liquor tank is just a nice luxury.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 04:57 PM   #3
TipsyDragon
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


how new are you? don't be in a hurry to jump to all grain. if you don't have your brewing process down cold your just asking for trouble.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:05 PM   #4
Palefire
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
SF, CA
Posts: 1,124
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts


If you're looking to not get much more equipment, you might want to check out Brew-in-a-Bag. Seems to work well for lots of people.

But I'd agree with TipsyDragon above: it's a lot easier to start with extract brewing to get your process down. AG is great, but if you don't have a sense of what the process is, it's a lot easier to screw up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:07 PM   #5
Azharen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Springfield
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
how new are you? don't be in a hurry to jump to all grain. if you don't have your brewing process down cold your just asking for trouble.
VERY new. About to brew my second batch soon. I don't mind doing the Extract Brewing. I just haven't found a cheap source of DME/LME. I guess I'll get a few more brews under my belt first then. Guess I should be asking where is a good source for cheap DME/LME.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:15 PM   #6
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Cape Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Norton, MA
Posts: 13,150
Liked 790 Times on 623 Posts


... just as a quick note... I really struggle with the idea that brewing beer, period, is dramatically more "economical" than just buying good beer.

IMHO, if someone is brewing to save money, they're 1) in it for the wrong reason and 2) are going to be disappointed.

And don't get me wrong Azharen, I'm not accusing you of anything.

My only point is that for a pretty large majority of folks that brew, the hobby turns into an obsession.... and as soon as that happens, the "economics" fly out the window very quickly.

I can brew a batch of... say... a Belgian Quad for a LOT less than what it would cost me to buy the same volume at the liquor store... BUT... what has it cost me to build my AG rig? and then all of the other bells/whistles that go along with it?

LOL... hell, I'm due to break even sometime in the year 2056.

Sure, you can absolutely brew with a sharp eye on costs and ultimately save some money... but... like I was saying, I just think putting those kind of handcuffs on yourself takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby itself.

This thread is a perfect example... you're a new brewer but already looking to go AG... that means new equipment... and once you have one peice of new equipment, there will alllllllllllllways be the "well... if I just get this" or "if I just get that".... and then it's downhill from there.
__________________
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!! www.bogironbrewing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:20 PM   #7
hal2814
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
Commerce, GA
Posts: 561
Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts


Don't move to all grain for economy's sake. Do it when mashing becomes something you really want to pursue. There's a lot going on during the mash and sparge process and a couple of steps have little room for error. It can be really frustrating if you make a mistake. That frustration will be compounded when you're just doing it to save money.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
Azharen
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Springfield
Posts: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Brewing View Post
... just as a quick note... I really struggle with the idea that brewing beer, period, is dramatically more "economical" than just buying good beer.

IMHO, if someone is brewing to save money, they're 1) in it for the wrong reason and 2) are going to be disappointed.

And don't get me wrong Azharen, I'm not accusing you of anything.

My only point is that for a pretty large majority of folks that brew, the hobby turns into an obsession.... and as soon as that happens, the "economics" fly out the window very quickly.

I can brew a batch of... say... a Belgian Quad for a LOT less than what it would cost me to buy the same volume at the liquor store... BUT... what has it cost me to build my AG rig? and then all of the other bells/whistles that go along with it?

LOL... hell, I'm due to break even sometime in the year 2056.

Sure, you can absolutely brew with a sharp eye on costs and ultimately save some money... but... like I was saying, I just think putting those kind of handcuffs on yourself takes a lot of the fun out of the hobby itself.

This thread is a perfect example... you're a new brewer but already looking to go AG... that means new equipment... and once you have one peice of new equipment, there will alllllllllllllways be the "well... if I just get this" or "if I just get that".... and then it's downhill from there.
I wasn't referring to brewing vs buying. DME/LME is very pricey for me compared to what I can get Grain for online. I haven't found a good source of DME/LME that's bulk cheaper than what I can get at my LHBS. I could be spending half as much per batch brewing all grain than brewing with extract with what I can find currently. I asked about equipment because I know AG is a huge investment if you go hard core. I was just looking to see if there was a way for a newbie to do AG without building some monolithic rig? I don't mind having a shrine to beer, I just can't afford a full AG rig ATM.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:31 PM   #9
Cape Brewing
DOH!!! Stupid brewing...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Cape Brewing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Norton, MA
Posts: 13,150
Liked 790 Times on 623 Posts


I'm with ya... all i'm saying is, in the long run, I think it is very rare that anyone saves money along any step of homebrewing.

DME/LME is more expensive than bulk grains but you need more equipment ($$) for AG.

55 lb sacks of grain are a TON cheaper than buying a few lbs at a time at the LHBS... but now you're looking at large AG batches with bulk grain... more $$$.

Sure, there are ways that you can get into AG without building a shrine or spending a ton of money... like Palefire said, the boil-in-a-bad method seems to work pretty well for folks. My only point is that it is very rare that a homebrewer stops at that step and over the long haul, I'm skeptical homebrewing makes purely economical sense.
__________________
Why the eff not... everyone else is starting a nano!!! I wanna!!! www.bogironbrewing.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulthenurse View Post
I'm pretty much a douche in real life, too.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2010, 05:39 PM   #10
wyzazz
Recipes 
 
Aug 2009
Atwater, OH
Posts: 4,312
Liked 55 Times on 52 Posts


Check out North Country Malt, or Mid Country Malt (Google is your friend) for a cheap price on the 55lb bags of DME. I got it for $2.40/lb delivered to my door. Partial Mashes also make it cheaper on the wallet!
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
First all grain brew (with amazing brew sculpture pic) alpo All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 15 02-14-2016 03:32 AM
First All Grain brew question (A Pumpkin Beer) zman All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 7 09-25-2010 01:37 PM
first all grain recipe question (how much grain) wester101 All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 10 07-27-2009 11:15 PM
Water to grain ratio "1st all grain brew" Jaybrinks All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 09-22-2008 01:14 AM
Question about steeping grain in extract/grain brew grez Extract Brewing 16 09-18-2006 03:37 PM


Forum Jump