Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Alabama Homebrew Legalization

Old 04-23-2010, 02:35 PM   #111
FreeM80s
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Dead this year
By Dan Roberts | Published: April 23, 2010

Most of you know by now that we the Alabama House didn’t make it to the second Special Order Calendar, and thus the Brewery Modernization Act never came up for a vote. Since the legislative session is now over, we’re dead this year. It came a long way for its first year, but in the end we just ran out of time for our final vote.

The Brewery Modernization Act is a no-nonsense bill that would have created jobs and made Alabama more competitive in a growing industry, all at no cost to the public purse. It’s disappointing that our legislators in Montgomery couldn’t even get to it, especially in the current economic climate.

Free the Hops will continue in the struggle. It takes time and is often frustrating, but we’ve already shown that we can bring common sense to Alabama’s beer laws.

Old 04-23-2010, 03:12 PM   #112
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So much for alabama moving forward............sometimes I don't understand.

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
Just Bottled - Jay's Irish Stout
On Deck - The Orginal Fat Tire
Planning - "Hail to the Chief -IIPA", "The Straw Berry Blonde"
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-23-2010, 04:55 PM   #113
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

And here I thought people in the South were all for Liberties?

Did I miss a meeting?

Old 04-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #114
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BendBrewer View Post

Did I miss a meeting?
Down here in the south as far as laws and politics it's always some one who thinks his morals and values are right for everyone........

Primary - Apfelwein v2, JChrapewein, Light Scottish Ale, SW 420 v2, Devil Dog Ale Version 2
Secondary - OxiClean
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-23-2010, 05:35 PM   #115
BendBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 75 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Quote:
Originally Posted by brewagentjay View Post
Down here in the south as far as laws and politics it's always some one who thinks his morals and values are right for everyone........
Sorry to hear that Jay.

That reminds me of a Bill Hicks skit:

"You are Free.........to do as we tell you!"

Old 04-23-2010, 06:09 PM   #116
forcera
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Quote:
"You are Free.........to do as we tell you!"
Thats pretty much it.

In Alabama there is no beer, thats why we brew it here
-Kim & SunAe Thomson, owners of Alabrew Homebrewing Supplies, Birmingham's one and only homebrewing store

Alvin Holmes, Alabama House of Representatives, on Beer

Old 04-23-2010, 06:28 PM   #117
isleofman
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 295

Quote:

Did I miss a meeting?
How did you get this idea? The south is one of the most/if not the most conservative part of the country. There's a church on every corner....

Old 04-23-2010, 07:01 PM   #118
Cheaton
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by isleofman View Post
How did you get this idea? The south is one of the most/if not the most conservative part of the country. There's a church on every corner....
It's not just "a church" or Christianity in general. It's the southern baptist version of it. Other flavors of Christianity are far less theocratic. The Fundamentalist Southern Baptists would have us all carrying around a bible, praying 3 times a day at work, and styaing home for bible study and prayer at night. No dancing, rock music, or drinking. Kind of sounds like Sharia law, doesn't it?

Bottled - Brewer's Best English Brown Ale (Suprisingly good!), EdWort's Apfelwein, Cleveland Winter Pale Ale

Tap-A-Drafted - Sweet Baby Stout

On Deck -

Old 04-27-2010, 10:09 AM   #119
brewagentjay
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Church related or not I can't stand the fact that I have to continue to do what I love illegally.............all because someone else thinks they know what's best for me.........Some times state and local politics seem worse than federal level...

Secondary - OxiClean
NTBA - Wicked Ale

Semper Fi

Old 04-27-2010, 03:17 PM   #120
DocBrown
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

While some of the opposition to the homebrew bill comes from certain Church groups, I can tell you that it was not those groups that ended up killing the bill this year. In fact, of the various parties opposing this bill, I respect them the most. They were up front and clear about what their concerns were. Other parties never came public with their complaints. They just worked to kill the bill from behind the scenes.

I know everyone probably wants the whole story, but the bill still hasn't passed, and some of the parties that opposed the bill wield considerable power in the state. For now we have to avoid offending anyone and attempt to assuage any concerns so we have a chance to get this through next year. Those closely involved with the legalization process have been specifically asked to not name any names or point fingers so that we can start our negotiations from a more friendly position.

But rest assured, the various homebrew clubs across the state that were the driving force behind the bill this year are already discussing strategies for getting this through next time around. Our legislative sponsor said he would try to get a meeting set up between us and the other parties involved sometime soon. At that point we'll have a better idea of exactly what the hang-ups were this year and we'll be able to map a more concrete strategy for next year.