Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > I think my regulator is broken

Old 02-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #1
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 14 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2865 Times on 1733 Posts
Likes Given: 6068

Default I think my regulator is broken

I got the deluxe two keg starter kegging kit from kegconnection.com fairly recently. On one of the regulators, I've noticed that no matter where I set the set screw (even fully backed out with no keg connected), it will slowly pressurize to 20 lbs, but obviously higher if I turn the set screw past the 20 lbs point. My guess is that the diaphragm (or whatever it is in there that controls pressure) is getting stuck at 20 lbs when coming off the pressure or there is a hole in the diaphragm (if indeed it is a diaphragm in there). Is there any way to find out what is causing the problem and if so, could one rebuild the regulator if need be or should I just get a new one? Thanks.

-AJ

Inhopsicated: A Beer Blog

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 02-03-2010, 07:26 AM   #2
mordantly
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

i would open it up and see if some crap has gotten in there between the diaphram and body or in the needle area. its real easy to open up.. 4 screws for cornelius, a big hex to unscrew the front on the rest. remove from tank first or shut off co2 supply and purge body prior to opening it.. or you might be surprised by a blast and drop the parts.

Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 AM   #3
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll try that out when I get home from work tomorrow. I'll let you know if it works or not.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 02-05-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

Unfortunately, that didn't work. There are no holes in the diaphragm and nothing is obstructing it in any way. Oh well, I guess I am down to one keg at a time until I can figure out what's wrong or get a new regulator. Thanks for the advice.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 02-05-2010, 05:45 AM   #5
mordantly
Recipes 

Location: Westside..... CenCal - the country that'll never take away my guns or money !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 1

if it is still open, with the diaphragm out, connect it to the tank, and turn tank on. gauge should remain at 0 and no co2 will be escaping the center needle valve. if it is leaking, then a rebuild sounds to be in order. based on the brand and if it is a primary or secondary, it will cost about $15.

Old 02-05-2010, 07:35 AM   #6
nukebrewer
Brew the brew!

Recipes 

I already put it back together, but I will certainly give that a try when I get home from work tomorrow. My LHBS (the only one on the island) will be closed until the 11th and by that time I will be underway for 3 weeks. I would really like to get a second keg on CO2 before I leave. Thanks for the suggestion.

Inhopsicated on Twitter

Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
Vendor Ads 
Feedback Score: 4 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 1340 Times on 878 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Make sure the big spring is seated properly. Pressure goes up as the front screw pushes on the spring, the spring pushes on the diaphragm, the diaphragm pushes on the needle valve. If it's not seated in the reg, it can't be backed out far enough.

Old 02-06-2010, 06:10 PM   #8
TheCHICompany
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Regulator repair kits if you need one:

http://www.chicompany.net/regulator-...-kits-840.html