Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Lambic & Wild Brewing > Source For Brettanomyces Anomalus?

Old 02-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #1
thelorax121
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Source For Brettanomyces Anomalus?

So I am just getting into Brett fermentations, and I am looking to split a 5 gal batch and ferment one with Brett. A and the other with Brett. C. The problem is, I can't seem to find a source for any cultures of Brett. A from Wyeast, White Labs or otherwise. Does anyone have an inside source for this strain so I can get my Brett career a-goin'?

Worst case scenario, I have a starter from the dregs of two bottles of Avery 15 that seems to be taking off that I could pitch in place of the Brett A. Again, I am new to Brett, so while it looks like a layer of yeast is forming at the bottom of the flask, I am not sure on the time-line, or the visual clues for an actively fermenting Brett starter, so input on this would be helpful too. Thanks in advance for the input!

Old 02-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #2
carnevoodoo
Recipes 

Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts
Likes Given: 5

http://madfermentationist.blogspot.c...alus-brew.html

Email that guy or ask someone on the Babble Belt homebrew forum. Those guys will have it or know where to get it.

Old 02-09-2010, 02:54 AM   #3
Saccharomyces
Be good to your yeast...
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 96 Times on 56 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The Avery 15 dregs should work fine, just keep in mind brett grows slower than sacc yeast so it will take about a week to get a big enough starter built up to pitch. If you have a warm place (~80*F) for the starter, that will also help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soperbrew
big brother only monitors facebook and untappd

Old 02-09-2010, 06:14 AM   #4
Jaymo
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Big +1 to the temp thing. I've brewed all-brett beers before and Brett C & A in particular really like at least over 70F if possible.

Even when using a 1L starter at 70+F I've had Brett C beers have lag time of 3-4 days before there was noticeable activity in the primary. (Turned out delicious though, btw.)

Old 02-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #5
DanZarrella
Recipes 

yet another +1 to higher temps. My Brett C starter and small batch really benefited from temps in the 74-76+ range.
Had raging active fermentation, less than a full 24 hours after pitching, but the airlock smelled pretty fruity (pretty sure now, it was just the sour cherries in the brew, not full out esters), so I pulled it off the heater a bit and it dropped a few points and fermentation activity subsided greatly. Just put it back on and will report back if the activity restarts.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:36 PM   #6
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 151

I'll agree on the high temps for Brett C, but the same high temps with Brett A gave me a load of terrible band-aid/phenol character. Brett A isn't produced anymore, Wyeast phased it out about 3 years back. Honestly I like White Labs Brett C better. If you are looking for something similar maybe you could get your hands on the Wyeast Brett C, although its VSS run ended in June.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:02 PM   #7
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Just FYI, I sent an email to wyeast about when they will release the Brett. C again, and here was their response:

"The 5151 Brett. c. will be on our PC lineup next quarter (April - June)"

As an aside, the 5.5 gal 1.040 batch that I pitched the starter made from the Avery dregs is still bubbling away about two weeks later. I am keeping the temperature right around 70, and so far the airlock smells wonnderful. Ill post back up with some tasting/gravity readings in a week or two when I transfer to secondary.

Old 02-17-2010, 03:07 PM   #8
DanZarrella
Recipes 

In the book Wild Brews, the Jeff Sparrow seems to indicate that Brett C is really just a specific strain of Brett A.

Old 02-18-2010, 04:09 PM   #9
thelorax121
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have read that, and that was part of the reason that I wanted to get my hands on Brett A specifically, so that I could do a split batch and compare the two to see for myself. I guess i'm just not trusting enough

Old 02-18-2010, 05:07 PM   #10
Oldsock
Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 151

A and C are the same in the same biological sense that all ale yeast are Saccharomyces cerevisiae, but there can be huge flavor/brewing differences between different strains of ale yeast (compare an American ale yeast to a Belgian for example).