Screw-cap bottles and corks - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > Screw-cap bottles and corks

Old 02-02-2010, 10:08 PM   #1
subspace
Recipes 

Jul 2008

Newbie brewing my first batch of wine. Most of the empty wine bottles I have got are the screw-cap variety. Can I put corks in these bottles or are they too weak and will they split the neck?

Old 02-02-2010, 10:11 PM   #2

They aren't as strong and may well break and might cause a serious injury.

Old 02-02-2010, 11:06 PM   #3
OldRalHoleBrewing
Recipes 

Jan 2010
Southern Ohia
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I second that, though I can look over to my wine rack and see at least two screw tops that were successfully corked. I was never known for being the safe one, you should go to your local wine store/bar and see if they'll give you a deal on empty bottles from tastings. My local does 10 or 5 cent bottles, depending.

However, if you insist on corking screw tops, make sure they're at least screw-top wine bottles, as they (usually) have straight necks, ensuring you relatively smooth corking.

Better to scrounge some proper bottles and be safe though.

Old 02-03-2010, 12:54 AM   #4
cbw
Recipes 

Aug 2009
In front of my computer

I've corked screw top bottles ... but used a number 8 cork ... for a short storage wine.

Weak bottle rim can be a problem using a cork screw to pull a stubborn cork out of the bottle ... which is why I use number 8 corks ... hardly any resistance uncorking ... of course, that doesn't speak highly for preserving wine quality.

Guess what I'm trying to say is yes ... I've done it.

But I prefer not to do it again ... but if I had to ... I'd used a short number 8 cork ... and be careful pulling the cork ... not using the bottle top as a fulcrum to extract the cork.

Luckily, we've collected 100s of recycled (originally corked) bottles to reuse. And don't really expect to cork another screw top.

Old 02-03-2010, 05:08 AM   #5
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Dec 2009
Pacific NW
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I didn't know. I'll have to recycle the 2 or 3 bottles I've collected that are screw top.