HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - This is it - Final Weekend to Enter!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Final Weekend!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > DIY Grain Mill. I was excited until....

Old 02-02-2010, 04:45 PM   #1
Suicided1954
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default DIY Grain Mill. I was excited until....

So I found what I thought would make great rollers for my soon to be mill. 24 bucks at Harbor Freight.

I ran a shaft through one side, acquired all the necessary bearings, and drew up my plan.

Then I read on here that aluminum rollers will not last long and that I will end up with chunks of aluminum in my mash.

How big of a concern should this be?

Will it last 12 brews, 6, 2?

Thanks
Darryl

Should I punt before I get more involved than I am?

Old 02-02-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 435 Times on 355 Posts
Likes Given: 63

So many people have "discovered" those rollers at Harbor Freight. There ought to be a sticky thread about them.

I think some folks have had OK luck with them, but personally I wouldn't invest all that effort unless I was sure I had a backup solution.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:10 PM   #3
Suicided1954
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

now where did I put that receipt?... Thanks for confirming my fears. I may have to eat what I have invested already and chalk it up to experience. All this because I didn't want to wait on a shipping.

Thanks
Darryl

Old 02-02-2010, 05:12 PM   #4
IrregularPulse
Hobby Collector

Recipes 

Liked 2905 Times on 2834 Posts
Likes Given: 136

Hang on to them , who knows what hobby you'll get into next where these things will be an essential equipment upgrade!

I should have stuck to four fingers in Vegas. :o - marubozo's mom

Old 02-02-2010, 05:15 PM   #5
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2839 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3499

I would see first if the folks suggesting that they won't work, actually tried these rollers in particular or are they just blowing smoke out of their butts.

A lot of folks on the internet are armchair quarterbacks. And often offer opinion, without any actually experience with product at hand.

And other's just love to shoot people's ideas down. I often think it's better to just go ahead a do the diy, and if it works, THEN put the thread together and get worshipped as a god of DIY.

Many folks said you couldn't make a grainmill out of a pasta machine, and it they proven wrong.

The think about those rollers is that they are "heavy duty" aluminum, and they are meant to have the weight of motorcycles on there, so really if you have a gap to crush grain, do you really believe that grain is actually going to break the aluminum????

Personally I would test it for yourself and see. Grain is cheap by the pound, so you can burn through it and then SEE if they break into particles or not. You can pick through the grain and see for yourself.

You are not driving the wheels against each other, nor are you running anything particularly hard through the gap that you will have between the wheels, you are going to be crushing grain, NOT rocks.

To me, opinions are like A$$H...s, sometimes they are full of ****.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
hal2814
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 11 Posts

Might as well try it. Worst case you get some aluminum in your wort. Churches, very small rocks, and a duck may float but aluminum won't. It'll settle out.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:27 PM   #7
wildwest450
Recipes 

Liked 170 Times on 155 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I thought it was "everyone has one and they usually stink"?

Old 02-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Suicided1954
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Well I know I can't return all this stuff...cuz I modified some and chunked the packages of others...

I considered the hardness of grain vs. this roller. I also considered Hal's point of it staying in the mash if it did get that far.

I will go ahead and finish it but I'm making the assembly out of wood and not out of steel as I planned.

I have the wood laying around...I only have a whopping $45 invested in the "TEST"

Old 02-02-2010, 05:40 PM   #9
babalu87
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
I would see first if the folks suggesting that they won't work, actually tried these rollers in particular or are they just blowing smoke out of their butts.

A lot of folks on the internet are armchair quarterbacks. And often offer opinion, without any actually experience with product at hand.

And other's just love to shoot people's ideas down. I often think it's better to just go ahead a do the diy, and if it works, THEN put the thread together and get worshipped as a god of DIY.

Many folks said you couldn't make a grainmill out of a pasta machine, and it they proven wrong.

The think about those rollers is that they are "heavy duty" aluminum, and they are meant to have the weight of motorcycles on there, so really if you have a gap to crush grain, do you really believe that grain is actually going to break the aluminum????

Personally I would test it for yourself and see. Grain is cheap by the pound, so you can burn through it and then SEE if they break into particles or not. You can pick through the grain and see for yourself.

You are not driving the wheels against each other, nor are you running anything particularly hard through the gap that you will have between the wheels, you are going to be crushing grain, NOT rocks.

Or he could do all that work and find out its still not going to work out.

This isnt painting a wall, a lot of time and effort will be put into something that wont work.

There is a reason ALL grain mills have STEEL rollers.
They take a TREMENDOUS beating.

Old 02-02-2010, 05:55 PM   #10
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc

Recipes 

Liked 2839 Times on 1686 Posts
Likes Given: 3499

Quote:
Originally Posted by babalu87 View Post
Or he could do all that work and find out its still not going to work out.

This isnt painting a wall, a lot of time and effort will be put into something that wont work.
Well I'm sure that if Edison listened to you, we'd still be sitting in the dark, with THAT attitude.

I personally ENJOY experimenting, and trying stuff, whether it's in the workshop, the brewery or the kitchen. And as disappointing as it may be to have to scrap what you spend a couple days working on, OR dump that dish down the garbage disposal (Which I've done both) DURING the hours or days I have spent doing whatever it is, I'm enjoying the time spent tinkering, giving no thought to whether I'll be successful or not.

Oh and some of the porkert/corona mills that some folks get efficiencies in the 80's with, are made of cast aluminum. Including the one I've been using. I found out when I broke it, not by grinding the grain. but by trying to break the jb weld I had used to attach the grinding plate to the spiral driver.

Tremendous beating for grain???? Man what kind of grain are you milling...Most of the grain I use, you COULD crush with a rolling pin, if you wanted to crush 10 pounds of it that way.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew