Keggle insulation - Page 3 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks > Keggle insulation

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2010, 07:32 PM   #21
Bobby_M
Vendor and Brewer
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
Bobby_M's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2006
Whitehouse Station, NJ
Posts: 23,245
Liked 1695 Times on 1089 Posts


Yes. http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/dire...roject-154652/
__________________
Welcome to BrewHardware.com. I love you.
Corny Keg Dry Hop Canisters $26.50 for limited time
Chugger Pumps, Pump Kits, Camlocks, Sightglasses, Clear USA made Silicone Tubing, RIMS, Electric Install Parts, etc.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 07:25 AM   #22
gwjames47
 
gwjames47's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Basehor, Kansas
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by lamarguy View Post
If you're seeking a higher R factor and higher temperature stability (220+), you may consider purchasing closed cell foam insulation. I believe Reflectix is only rated to 170F.



Good job on finding this product, I have ordered the 1/4 thickness and will wrap my pot with two layers. I have been thinking that I might put a layer of heavy duty foil between the two layers of foam. Does anybody have an opinion on this strategy?

GW

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:50 PM   #23
wh4tig0t
 
wh4tig0t's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Posts: 121

I have 3 layers of reflectix on my BK/HLT. Works great except when i go to use my IC. Takes forever to chill. That foam rubber stuff might be the trick,if i was careful i could probably cut it to be removable, so once the boils done i could chill faster.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2011, 02:48 PM   #24
gwjames47
 
gwjames47's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2010
Basehor, Kansas
Posts: 61
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by gwjames47 View Post
Good job on finding this product, I have ordered the 1/4 thickness and will wrap my pot with two layers. I have been thinking that I might put a layer of heavy duty foil between the two layers of foam. Does anybody have an opinion on this strategy?

GW
I purchased this product from McMaster Carr and have used it on the last two brews. It seems to insulate very well, however it is quite fragile and tears easily when removing the insulation from the pot to chill the wort in an ice bath. Any little dribbles of wort down the outside of the pot fuses the insulation to the pot making it virtually impossible to remove the insulation with out ripping or tearing out chunks from where the insulation contacts the pot. If you are using a wort chiller then you can just leave the insulation on the pot and avoid this.

GW

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 04:22 PM   #25
Twang
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Posts: 206
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


I read on another post at HBT about the Keg Koozy as mash tun insulation. I got one for my eHerms mash tun setup and have had no complaints. Helps maintain the temperature and is easy to clean with a hose if you spill wort on it. I used a razor to cut holes for the sight glass, ball valve, and thermometer.
http://thekegkoozy.com/mash-tun-insulation

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2011, 06:35 PM   #26
tasq
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Denver, Colorado
Posts: 577
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Twang View Post
I read on another post at HBT about the Keg Koozy as mash tun insulation. I got one for my eHerms mash tun setup and have had no complaints. Helps maintain the temperature and is easy to clean with a hose if you spill wort on it. I used a razor to cut holes for the sight glass, ball valve, and thermometer.
http://thekegkoozy.com/mash-tun-insulation
I'd bet good money it won't hold up on a direct fired one. Cool idea though.
__________________
The Keg Ran Out Club
Broomfield, Colorado
http://www.kroc.org/

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 09:59 PM   #27
RustyMusket
Recipes 
 
May 2011
san diego, CA
Posts: 81

I read a thread on here some where about guys using Carbon fiber welders blanket as insulation for there MT's. You could most deffinately use it on your HLT and your BK. Although it is kinda expensive. Please forgive me for asking but why would you want to insulate your boil kettle? N/M on that last question..

 
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2011, 10:03 PM   #28
RustyMusket
Recipes 
 
May 2011
san diego, CA
Posts: 81

here ya go i found the link:

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/insu...75/index2.html

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:09 PM   #29
oshucks
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Poway, CA
Posts: 5

Anybody have any experience with pre-formed fiberglass pipe insulation? This outfit has some pre-sized for 16"dia pipe, 1" thick, rated to 1000degF, with a foil outer insulation. http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Fibergla...000_Group.aspx

I'm thinking of cutting it to the right length (top of the keggle), spooge the top of it with RTV like Bobby's approach, and it should take only minutes.

Trouble is, it comes in boxes of two for about $75+shipping. Anybody in the San Diego area interested in splitting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2012, 07:52 PM   #30
stamandster
Recipes 
 
Jun 2011
springfield, ma
Posts: 790
Liked 54 Times on 45 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by oshucks View Post
Anybody have any experience with pre-formed fiberglass pipe insulation? This outfit has some pre-sized for 16"dia pipe, 1" thick, rated to 1000degF, with a foil outer insulation. http://www.amerisafe.net/en/Fibergla...000_Group.aspx

I'm thinking of cutting it to the right length (top of the keggle), spooge the top of it with RTV like Bobby's approach, and it should take only minutes.

Trouble is, it comes in boxes of two for about $75+shipping. Anybody in the San Diego area interested in splitting?
That seems like it would hold temps like crazy!
I was thinking of going the really cheap route with something like http://www.rubberflooringinc.com/all-rolls.html

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need help MT insulation popeiam Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 1 05-07-2009 05:12 AM
keg insulation wildjack6 Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 3 03-14-2009 02:49 PM
Insulation for Keggle jmp138 Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 11 03-06-2009 03:09 AM
Keggle MLT Insulation Couevas Equipment/Sanitation 36 01-14-2009 08:11 PM
MLT insulation Jim Karr Kettles, Mash Tuns & Hot Liquor Tanks 1 08-01-2008 04:43 PM


Forum Jump