Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > WORST Home Brew Store experience ever!

Old 08-26-2010, 01:36 PM   #71
lesstjm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default You Should Go Back

You should go back and act like nothing happened. Come in with a list of a bunch of things you need to make a couple of very big batches of beer. Try to take up as much of his time as possible.

Then when it comes time to check out. Tell him you changed your mind and walk out.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:42 PM   #72
jonbomb
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 15

I noticed something about these LHBS . All of them think that the way THEY do things is the only way to do it. I wrote a post similar to this a few months ago. I like the owner of my LHBS hes a nice guy not really nice but hes a little snobby with the way he brews. I think its because hes real old school. He doesn't believe in a long primary and no secondary and we all know that that secondary thing has been debunked.

The problem was when I asked him if I can just leave it in primary a little longer he looked at me like I was crazy and shook his head.

I went back to get somethings to brew a hefeweizen. I read on here about puting fruit in beer. When I asked him if I can put fruit in beer then he was like "No WAY! thats disgusting!" I know its the yeast that does all the bannana and clove flavor but I read that its ok to put fruit in beer. Then there is the plastic carboy thing. He said I can never use plastic to ferment in because it can possibly melt the plastic and your beer will taste like crap etc. Then he tried to sell me his glass carboys...

I understand everyone has there own opinions but don't treat me like im crazy because I have some ideas and don't brew the "old school" way. He's a nice guy just not very welcoming to new brewers. I think its because he thinks hes more elite then everone else. Not to mention his shop is really dusty and dirty and there is crap everywhere... kinda looks like my basement.

All in all I came to the conclussion these guys think they are better then everyone else because they have been doing it for such a long time. I goto him for specific things I don't want to order online and thats it.

Old 08-26-2010, 02:55 PM   #73
Special Hops
Recipes 

Liked 21 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Surprised places like this stay in business!
Up Next: Oatmeal Stout

Old 08-26-2010, 03:04 PM   #74
RobWalker
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbomb View Post
All in all I came to the conclussion these guys think they are better then everyone else because they have been doing it for such a long time. I goto him for specific things I don't want to order online and thats it.
One guy in my local is the total opposite. He must be 30 or so, and I told him about the wine from tinned fruit thing, explaining that it's not exactly a fine vintage but it's a good laugh, great on the cash and i'm learning a lot doing it anyway. His reply "Well, as long as it gets you pissed, who cares?" Legend!

I just don't see why you'd badmouth equipment if you worked in a home brew place - surely it's better to sell you cheap starting equipment in the hope that you'll have to upgrade one day, from a business point of view.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:28 PM   #75
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ;2239323
There are two gentlemen that works there, one seems to be in a slightly better mood than the other, but itís a close call. Iím not sure how long they have been around, but however long, itís taken a toll on them. Letís just say, theyíve lost that sparkle in their eye.
This made me laugh.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:29 PM   #76
Schlenkerla

Recipes 

Liked 111 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Special Hops View Post
Surprised places like this stay in business!
The only reason they stay in business is people like you learned that he's a tool. Now you get what you need strictly as a commodity. The idea that he has any services to offer has long been dismissed.

If Wal-Mart had homebrew supplies you'd probably shop there for them.

F'em

BS Nano-Brewery

|Myeast 50327|Easy Hop Oast|Smoked Homebrew|

Old 08-26-2010, 05:39 PM   #77
robertbartsch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

...you guys must not live in NY....

...you will probably need to go there on an emergency basis from time-to-time, so I would ignor the owners and just get in and out as fast as possible. In the mean time, try to plan things out so you order what you need from the Net and don't have to go to their store and get abused by them often.

The folks here are an excellent source of opinions on receipes, brew methods, etc, so getting their so-called expert advice at this retail store is not critical, anyway; right?

Old 08-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #78
MacGruber
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 9

Wow, I can't believe the way this guy is treating his walk-ins. My LHBS is fantastic and the owner is always interested in helping to configure/tweek recipes. I started brewing about two years ago and I've made so many upgrades going from beginner to all grain. The owner has always looked at my recipes and made suggestions...and not just suggestions for him to make a bigger profit. I'm sorry your shop is so horrible.

Old 08-26-2010, 05:44 PM   #79
robertbartsch
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Oh, yeh ....my typical experience at my retail outlook in NY is a blank stare into space by folks who don't speak English. Sometimes, I get this:

....."Daaa we are not brewers, we just sell this stuff and the owners make a big profit...."

Old 08-26-2010, 06:30 PM   #80
BeerWars
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by robertbartsch View Post
Oh, yeh ....my typical experience at my retail outlook in NY is a blank stare into space by folks who don't speak English. Sometimes, I get this:
Seriously?

If that's the case I gotta give a HUGE shout out to my Brew Shop. Brew and Grow in Boilingbrook IL. They are STOCKED with extracts, full grain selection, tons of hops, better bottles, carboys and accessories. I think there are only three people that work there. You walk in the door and all three people greet you with a hello. There is a taller guy that always comes around the counter to ask if I need help finding anything. He is super friendly. There is guy that seems to really know his **** (not that the others don't - but he spotted my grain bill from 15 feet away and started asking me about the Pale Ale I was going to brew) he usually stays behind the counter and asks me which FREE beer sample I would like to try. On top of that there is an attractive lady that works behind the counter that wanted to hold my newborn son for me while I shopped. All three of them are great. So great that I honestly don't look at the prices (and I'm not rollin in the dough).

I just assumed that all brewshops were like this. Now I know how lucky I am.