Willamette Valley (American) Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
S-05
Yeast Starter
nope
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
nope
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
75-80
Color
black
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Tasting Notes
Dark chocolate, coffee, firm but smooth bitterness, creamy....delicious!
Willamette Valley Stout

American Stout

Amount Item Type % or IBU
10.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 65.6 %
1.50 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 9.8 %
1.00 lb CHocolate Rye (200.0 SRM) Grain 6.6 %
1.00 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 90L (90.0 SRM) Grain 6.6 %
1.00 lb Coffee Malt (150.0 SRM) Grain 6.6 %
0.75 lb Rye, Flaked (2.0 SRM) Grain 4.9 %
0.50 oz Warrior [15.40%] (90 min) Hops 27.6 IBU - FWH
0.50 oz Magnum [14.00%] (60 min) Hops 23.4 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.10%] (30 min) Hops 20.8 IBU
1.00 oz Northern Brewer [8.10%] (5 min) Hops 5.7 IBU

Est Original Gravity: 1.074 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.019 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.2 %
Bitterness: 77.5 IBU

note: This beer has no Willamette hops in it....I live in the Willamette valley

I put some thought into this one, and I must be getting better at putting recipes together because I nailed what I was going for.....I wanted a stronger stout that would feature a firm but smooth bitterness (like a typical american stout), a nice strong rounded roast flavor with only minimal sweetness to balance (consciously avoiding "dark fruit" notes) and a little nuttiness, all with the creamy soft texture of an oatmeal stout.

I've found that chocolate malt can lend a sharpness that I don't like, so I decided to try the chocolate rye in it's place, backed up by a little flaked rye, which ended up mostly enhancing the creaminess of this beer. Along with the coffee malt and the roast barley, the predominant flavors here are nutty dark coffee with cream(french roast, anyone?) and dark chocolate. The bitterness from the hops backs up the dark chocolate effect here, as they give the same lasting smooth bitterness long after the sip has washed away.

Speaking of hops, I confirmed something for myself during the creation of this beer: Northern Brewer is the supreme hop for beers with any chocolate or coffee character in them at all. Late additions of it serve to accentuate and add complexity to those flavors in a way that no hop should be able to do.

Overall, this beer reminds me of goose island oatmeal stout dosed with coffee and fortified with higher gravity and greater hoppiness (don't fear 75 or more IBU's here, this beer absorbs them beautifully)....a really delicious, nicely rounded American Stout.

This sounds like a good recipe. Why did you go with a 90 minute boil?

Also, what the heck is Coffee malt? It's not in the grain database in BeerTools Pro, and Brewmaster's Warehouse doesn't have it, either.

This sounds like a good recipe. Why did you go with a 90 minute boil?

Also, what the heck is Coffee malt? It's not in the grain database in BeerTools Pro, and Brewmaster's Warehouse doesn't have it, either.

I found it. It's called "Kiln Coffee Malt". I'm going to brew this one up. Thanks for the recipe!:mug:

I found it. It's called "Kiln Coffee Malt". I'm going to brew this one up. Thanks for the recipe!:mug:

Sweet! Let me know how it turns out. I gave mine a month on the yeast in the mid 60's, and bottled it straight from there. Three weeks in the bottle and it's already delicious....

I should note that I mashed somewhat low for the style at 151-152, but I think that helped make this a bit more sessionable for it's gravity...you could go higher for more body but it's good for my tastes.

Yeah, I was thinking 152-153 for the mash. I really like the looks of this on "paper". I'll report back when I'm drinking one!:mug:

I'm brewing this right now. Here is my slightly modified recipe and schedule:

Kaya's Choice
13-E American Stout
Author: Marc L.

Size: 5.25 gal
Efficiency: 75%
Attenuation: 75.0%
Calories: 223.08 kcal per 12.0 fl oz

Original Gravity: 1.067 (1.050 - 1.075)
Terminal Gravity: 1.017 (1.010 - 1.022)
Color: 30.4 (30.0 - 40.0)
Alcohol: 6.59% (5.0% - 7.0%)
Bitterness: 74.4 (35.0 - 75.0)

Ingredients:
9 lb 2-Row Brewers Malt
21 oz Roasted Barley
14 oz Caramel Malt 80L
14 oz Kiln Coffee Malt
10 oz Wheat Flaked
7 oz Pale Chocolate
7 oz Rye Malt
1 tsp Ferm-Cap S - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Warrior (15.8%) - added during boil, boiled 60 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (7%) - added during boil, boiled 15 min
1 ea Whirlfloc Tablets (Irish moss) - added during boil, boiled 10 min
1 oz Northern Brewer (8.5%) - added during boil, boiled 5 min
11 g Fermentis US-05 Safale US-05

Schedule:
Ambient Air: 70.0 °F
Source Water: 60.0 °F
Elevation: 0.0 m

00:05:00 Mash In - Liquor: 5.5 gal; Strike: 168.69 °F; Target: 153.0 °F
01:05:00 Sach Rest - Rest: 60 min; Final: 151.2 °F
01:05:00 Sparge - first runnings: 0.0 gal sparge @ 168.0 °F, 0.0 min; Sparge #2: 3.14 gal sparge @ 200.0 °F, 0.0 min; Total Runoff: 6.88 gal

Results generated by BeerTools Pro 1.5.3

Holy crap does this stuff smell good while doughing in! Bonus, I'm using a brand new mash paddle my brother made for me out of one piece of solid maple! Nice...

Nice....let it bulk age a month or so - it's going to be good. I like the subtle coffee flavor (it gets more subtle/blended as it conditions) that the coffee malt imparts. And the caramel amounts turned out perfect for me...just a little sweetness to combat the rich malt character and the woody mintiness of the hops......I found it to be a well rounded stout that incorporated my favorite elements of the style.

I just thought of something too....we have soft water here in Eugene, and that probably played a roll in softening the hop bite. If you're water is hard-ish, you may get a bit more hop brightness, but as this ages it will mellow become smoother. Next time I brew this, I'm going to firm up the water first because I actually like a brighter hoppiness myself.

I just noticed you have rye malt listed in place of flaked rye. I don't know if (or how) that will affect things, but I believe part of the creaminess of my version came from the flaked rye, and i don't know whether or not rye malt will give the same......it'll be good either way though. You're mashing a couple degrees higher than I did, so the body should come out about the same or even bigger I guess....no worries, have fun.

I used pale chocolate and rye malt because Ed at Brewmaster's Warehouse told me that Chocolate Rye was one of the few grains he doesn't carry. He suggested the pale choc./rye combo as a substitute. I can't remember why I decided to use flaked wheat instead of flaked rye in my version. Anyway, I'll report back again when I crack one open in a couple or three months. Thanks again!:mug:

Oh, I didn't even see the flaked wheat....yeah, that'll do the trick too. I used rye simply to back up the chocolate rye. In all honesty there is very little "rye" flavor in such a bold beer, but I bet it will be a tiny bit different without it, know what I mean?

I'm drinking one of these right now actually, and it really is a good stout!

FYI, my experience with pale chocolate is this: Pale chocolate malt = toasty bite while chocolate malt = slightly roasty bitterness

Here's a couple pics of this brew.....that head is 10 minutes old......This beer, what's left of it, is really good! I'm really happy with this one and will be brewing it again this month sometime (10 gallons this time).

P1010014.JPG

P1010019.JPG

Mine went into bottles today. 1.069 down to 1.017 for 6.8%ABV. I really can't wait to try this beer. The two other stouts I've brewed were failures.

Okay...I just put a bottle in the fridge to drink in 2 days. This has honestly been the longest 3 weeks in my brewing career! I'll report on Thursday (4/15)!

Back