2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > 2 Week week wait before fermentation. Problems?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2010, 02:26 AM   #1
drpepper322
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Connecticut
Posts: 5


Hi everyone, first time poster, long time brewer / lurker. So far everyone on the forums have been a great help!

Now for my dilemma ...about two weeks ago I brewed a Czech Pilsner ( First time doing a lager), used White Labs WLP800 and hit O.G. of around 1.061. I let it sit for a few days, and temperature was hovering between 49-and 55. After a few days I checked the fermenter, and absolutely no movement in the airlock. I took a reading and was down to 1.048. At this point I was pretty relieved things were happening and then just let it sit. 2 weeks later, right around transferring time, I noticed there was still no movement in the airlock ( the inner piece not pushed up by any CO2), I took a reading and O.G. was still at the 1.048. SO just out of curiosity I took a termperature reading and noticed the brew was 45...Way too cold for WLP800. So I moved it to warmer place, and within a few hours I noticed the Airlock gradually bubbling away. Despite a two week lag time at least things are starting to move!

I'm only concerned with the two week wait and anything that could have happened during that time. Will there be any off flavors from that lag time? and more importantly, is there any risk of infection just having cooled wort sitting in a fermenting bucket for two weeks? Is there anything else I should be wary of?

Thanks for the input

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 02:29 AM   #2
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


You'll want to check gravity on that. As a liquid warms up, gas will come out of solution. So you can have airlock bubbles with no fermentation.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 06:55 PM   #3
drpepper322
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Connecticut
Posts: 5

Just checked it... down to 1.036, and there's finally some krausen on the top

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 08:13 PM   #4
david_42
 
david_42's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2005
Oak Grove, Oregon, USA
Posts: 25,597
Liked 155 Times on 145 Posts


I don't think you'll have a problem.
__________________
Remember one unassailable statistic, as explained by the late, great George Carlin: "Just think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of them are even stupider!"

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM   #5
drpepper322
Recipes 
 
Sep 2009
Connecticut
Posts: 5

Glad to hear it. Anything else I should be wary about with this?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:58 AM   #6
ChshreCat
 
ChshreCat's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2008
Camano Island, Washington
Posts: 11,533
Liked 542 Times on 434 Posts


You might be more likely to have a stalled ferment since the cold would have caused more yeast to fall out of suspension. Don't worry too much about it, but if it does stall you might have to rouse it a little. Leave it be for now though, just check it again in a week.
__________________
"Science + beer = good!"
-Adam Savage

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Repitch or wait a week and see if the beer gods save me? k2brew Fermentation & Yeast 5 12-21-2009 09:55 PM
Bottle now or wait a week? Dionysos911 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 02-03-2009 11:51 PM
Should I transfer into Secondary or wait one week mioduz Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 02-03-2009 01:20 AM
Ready to bottle or wait another week? Papinquack Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 13 09-03-2008 09:23 PM
What's best: week at room temp or week in fridge? novafire Bottling/Kegging 3 07-20-2008 08:00 PM


Forum Jump