Ss Brewtech’s Biggest Baddest Holiday Giveaway Ever!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Obligatory "First AG brew" thread
Old 02-01-2010, 05:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 38 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Default Obligatory "First AG brew" thread

I chose BM's Co3C as my jumping off point.
Over the summer and fall I collected 2 50l kegs, a 10g Rubbermaid cooler and all the fittings and thermometer.
Single infusion/batch sparge.
Hit all my numbers dead on without having tried all that hard. (I was more interested in finding out how my equipment behaves than getting everything perfect.)
Let it sit on the cake for 3 weeks and racked it to a cornie yesterday. Hydro sample tasted like an MGD with a lot more flavor.
Used a Kölsch yeast, which cleaned up beautifully. It was nearly clear flowing through the racking cane.
No more extract or partial boils for me.
Next up: an American amber.

Making the world a bitter place, one IBU at a time.

Axé Cidery and Aleworks

Primary: Social Lubricant
Secondary: Tongue Oil
Lagering: Icy Paralyzer
Bottle conditioning: Liquid Courage
Drinking: Loud Mouth Soup
Old 02-01-2010, 06:44 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just finished my 8th AG and I had more problems on it than I did on the first 7.
Made a strong scotch ale and got low efficency.I guess i should stirred the grain a little better before sparging. I pretty much filled the cooler to the top and the bottom grain turned into a solid cake. Need a bigger mash-tun for a bigger beer evidently.