When can I stop worrying about Bottle Bombs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer-Baron

Reaction score
I just bottled my first brew yesterday. Just wondering how long it usually takes for things to start exploding?

I'm just a little nervous about it, and I want to know when I'm in the clear.

Thanks. . .

Did you use the recommended amount of sugar in your priming solution (3/4 cup of corn sugar boiled in 2 cups of water is usually the norm)? If you're storing them at room temperature and you used the proper amount of priming sugar you shouldn't have anything to worry about.

Also...as long as you've let the beer ferment out correctly, you'll never have a bottle bomb. Your hydrometer is your friend.

I discovered my first broken bottle that was bottled after two weeks and has been in the bottle for two weeks. I found the top from the neck up 5 feet away.

Also...as long as you've let the beer ferment out correctly, you'll never have a bottle bomb. Your hydrometer is your friend.

This man speaks the truth! In bottling nearly 2000 bottles of beer since I started brewing, I've never had one blow up. Not even a gusher or even close.

Bottle bombs are caused by 1) bottling before fermentation finishes, 2) an infection that causes additional fermentation , 3) adding too much priming sugar, or 4) faulty bottles. With good brewing practices, it is not likely to happen.

Here's a follow up question, I've only brewed a few batches so far and in my first few I found that I was lacking carbonation. This time around I added just a little more priming sugar to get a nice fizzy beer and it seems to have worked great.

So the question is, at what point does adding a little extra sugar turn from a good idea into a potentially lethal one?

So the question is, at what point does adding a little extra sugar turn from a good idea into a potentially lethal one?

How much sugar did you add, and was your beer finished fermenting (stable gravity reading x 3 days?)

On a side note, I really like Beersmith: for one thing to calculate the amount of corn sugar necessary to achieve the right amount of volumes of co2, consistent with that style of beer. 3/4 c corn sugar may be too much or not enough, depending on the style. Carbonation wise, also depends on temp and time. I've had batches carbonated in 2 weeks, and others that took 4 weeks. (of course, Beersmith can do many other things that will make you a better brewer, I've found it was worth the 21 or so bucks).

I was brewing an IPA that called for 5 oz. of corn sugar, I think I ended up adding a little less than 5.5 oz. I made sure that I had stable hydrometer readings and the FG was sitting right where it was supposed to (can't remember what it was off the top of my head.)

I've only brewed a few batches so far and in my first few I found that I was lacking carbonation.

you most likely didn't wait long enough before chilling and drinking. wait a minimum of 3 weeks after bottling before drinking. some beers take longer to carb than others and some bottles take longer than others to carb.

you most likely didn't wait long enough before chilling and drinking. wait a minimum of 3 weeks after bottling before drinking. some beers take longer to carb than others and some bottles take longer than others to carb.

Actually I generally try to wait at least three weeks before I crack the first one. I've even let some of them age for much longer and they've just never gotten the amount of carbonation that I would have liked.

Back