Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > strain hops in secondary

Old 01-29-2010, 11:04 PM   #1
slvrmon92
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default strain hops in secondary

I am getting ready to bottle Sunday and there is still a bit of hops at the top of the beer rest has settled to the bottom. I used 1 oz. of cascade hop pellets. Just straight in. Was I supposed to put in bag or anything??

It is in secondary and was hopped a week ago.

Do I strain it when it goes into bottling bucket?? Before the bottling?

Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #2
TipsyDragon
Recipes 

Liked 22 Times on 20 Posts

you don't really have to filter anything. when ever i see a post like this i always wonder why people worry. i always just dump the hops directly in the boiling wort, let it ferment, then rack to the bottling bucket. i've never had a problem with hops in my beer glass.

Old 01-29-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 5577 Times on 4009 Posts
Likes Given: 1371

No, it'll be fine. You won't want to strain or otherwise oxidize the beer. What I do is just start the siphon in the middle, and then lower it until it's just off the bottom. That way you don't suck up any trub or hops particles. I never use a hops bag, and I make a ton of hoppy beers.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-30-2010, 12:41 AM   #4
IceFisherChris
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have strained once, but that was when I racked to the primary from my brew kettle. I would do it again too. I think it's handy and helps yield slightly more usable beer (with hoppy beers you get less beer/hop sludge mixture in the bottom).
Don't strain any other time. this prevents aerating your beer. The floaties will be fine and will settle. Oh and I do not use a hop bag for dry hopping (I assume that is what you were doing?) Just chuck them in.

Old 01-30-2010, 11:31 PM   #5
artguy
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I find that attaching a sanitized nylon paint strainer bag to the racking cane with a rubber band works like a charm when I'm racking to the bottling bucket, if it's a beer with a bunch of floating hops. Not 100% necessary probably, but it does work well if you want to be sure you're not siphoning up hop matter.