Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Mini-Brew Plastic Conical Fermenters (6.5 Gallon)

Old 11-06-2006, 08:25 PM   #1
RoaringBrewer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Mini-Brew Plastic Conical Fermenters (6.5 Gallon)

Anyone here use these conical fermenters as opposed to the $500+ dollar stainless versions. I know the SS-heads are going to jump on me and say the stainless will pay for itself in 3 years (which it very well may), but I'm just not up to a $500 investment at this point.

I could get this, on the other hand, for roughly $170 Shipped (I'm willing to make this investment):
http://s1.ecooem.com/ke/kennywoodbre...D=73e558b82908

And I'm seriously considering it... I was going to go out and buy another primary vessel and another secondary vessel anyway (2 carboys is going to put me around $50 alone, let alone the airlocks, stoppers, etc.), so why not top an extra $100 on top and get something along these lines?

No more racking to secondary, etc. It would alleviate a lot of the hassle (not to mention worry) of transferring to a secondary and then to a bottling bucket. I could throw it in here for 3 weeks and basically be ready for bottles.

I'm guessing you can bottle from these as well? I can't see why you couldn't release any trub after 3 weeks, mix in some boiled water/priming sugar, and bottle directly from the valve as well?

What's the consensus on these if I want to save $100s over a SS vessel?

Old 11-06-2006, 08:27 PM   #2
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Ack, please move to equipment forum please, I hit the wrong one...

Old 11-06-2006, 09:02 PM   #3
Flyin' Lion

Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 7 Posts

That looks pretty sweet, but if you're interested in doing 10 gallon batches down the road you should check out these links by Blaze in another thread.

http://www.plastic-mart.com/

Here's a better link:http://www.plastic-mart.com/class.php?cat=19

http://doghousebrewing.net/images/picture_001.jpg

His are 30 gallons, but you can buy them as small as 15 which should facilitate fermenting 10 or 12 gallon batches. (they would require some modification).

Oh and just in case you want to see the thread that started this:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=14410

Good luck.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:03 PM   #4
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

A bucket and carboy is $50?

I guess my question is do you really want it? How would you move it? Say for example you came down and brewed with us, how do you haul it home? How do you cool it or heat it?

we went down this road and decided it was cheaper to stick with the basic stuff. 1 bucket and 2 carboys would let you brew every two weeks. Something like this lets you brew every 3 weeks or longer for a high gravity.

I think if you really want a conical these are a good investment, just be sure you really want a conical.

you currently have 1 bucket and 1 carboy right? Really you just need another carboy.

Old 11-06-2006, 09:35 PM   #5
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Check out the conical inductor tanks by Ace on www.nationaltankoutlet.com. You can get a 15 gallon, or a 30 gallon with a metal stand for less than $300.

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 11-06-2006, 09:44 PM   #6
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

May want to check the plastic mart site Jim. 15 gallon with stand for $137 incl. shipping. Just have to drill a couple holes and install valves.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:41 PM   #7
RoaringBrewer

Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd
A bucket and carboy is $50?

I guess my question is do you really want it? How would you move it? Say for example you came down and brewed with us, how do you haul it home? How do you cool it or heat it?

we went down this road and decided it was cheaper to stick with the basic stuff. 1 bucket and 2 carboys would let you brew every two weeks. Something like this lets you brew every 3 weeks or longer for a high gravity.

I think if you really want a conical these are a good investment, just be sure you really want a conical.

you currently have 1 bucket and 1 carboy right? Really you just need another carboy.
Well Todd, I would really continue to use the basic stuff as well, I just thought I could use this do run 2 at once. So, when I brew with y'all I can just bring the basics.

I'm not 100% sure yet, which is why I haven't purchased. I will probably stick with the basics and get another bucket/carboy so I can run 2 at once... until I am sure.

Old 11-07-2006, 11:51 AM   #8
Todd
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkkyBrew
Well Todd, I would really continue to use the basic stuff as well, I just thought I could use this do run 2 at once. So, when I brew with y'all I can just bring the basics.

I'm not 100% sure yet, which is why I haven't purchased. I will probably stick with the basics and get another bucket/carboy so I can run 2 at once... until I am sure.

from what I understand people really like these, I've just found it is easy to get caught up in all the excitment. In my opinion when doing just a 5 gallon batch I don't really see the benefit. Now if you were doing 10 gallons then go for it.

What I'm really considering lately is the better bottles with the racking port, they looks super nice to use.

Old 11-07-2006, 03:09 PM   #9
tdiowa
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

SilkkyBrew, I have one like you have describe and love it. I use it for both my primary and secondary. There is an outlet on the bottom that allows me to dump my trub to get it below the racking port. Then I just hook up my racking hose and rack. Works like a charm. I would recommend it because of the ease of using it and is a definate upgrade to the beginner / intermediate homebrewer. If you go this route I would recommend getting Liquid Crystal Thermometer and the Liquid Crystal Liquid Level ie: 1 Gallon, 2 Gallon etc. to stick on the side. Also I have a brew belt to keep my wort at a constant 70 degrees.

Just my 2 cents worth

TD

Old 11-07-2006, 03:25 PM   #10
dantodd

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

you can always flip a carboy upside down and use that as a semi-conical by using one of these: http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=16662 and a stand.