Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Wine Making Forum > Corn Sugar vs Table Sugar flavor (7lbs worth)

Old 01-30-2010, 05:19 AM   #21
CandleWineProject
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysos911 View Post
Well it's not really a soda pop since it'll have a significant amount of alcohol in it. Mostly it's an experiment to try to make a ginger beverage, be it considered a beer, cider, or soda.
Eh, you might talk to the mead forum then. Us cider people aren't really sure what to do with this request. I bet the mead people will. *tad bit drunk now*

Old 01-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #22
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6009 Times on 4282 Posts
Likes Given: 1545

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dionysos911 View Post
I plan to ferment all 7lbs then back sweeten to taste. Mostly trying to figure if it is worth the cost to buy corn sugar or if table sugar will work ok without tasting horrible.
My bet is it will not taste good, whether you use corn sugar or table sugar. The reason is simple- the sugar ferments out to make alcohol. If you have very little in the way of ingredients for flavor and body, it'll just be ginger flavored "hot" liquid.

You could try adding some golden raisins for flavor and body, and some white grape juice. When that ferments, it would leave some richness and body behind. I'd also add a squeeze of lemon or a teaspoon of acid blend.

Fermented, plain sugar water just doesn't taste very good. The sugar is there simply to provide fuel for the yeast to make alcohol.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 01-30-2010, 08:23 AM   #23
DrJerm
Recipes 

When I was doing some reading a week ago I found this post informative, maybe you can apply it to your ginger beer:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adolphus79 View Post
I've made Apfelwein every which way til Sunday...

The original recipe, with Dextrose (corn sugar) will ferment out completely, leaving a subtly tart and sweet product. This also clears the fastest, due to the complete fermentability of the Dextrose.

Cane sugar (table sugar) will ferment out very well also, but will leave the finished product slightly sweeter, and will take slightly longer to clear.

Dark brown sugar will ferment out quite dry, and will finish with a darker, more tart product due to the extra molasses. This takes about twice as long to clear as the Dextrose.

Honey depends on how much and when you add it, if you add 3 pounds at the beginning, it will ferment out very well, with a somewhat dry finished product. If you step it (add a little at a time), then there is a chance you can bump the ABV up quite a bit, and leave it very sweet. Honey takes the longest of them all to ferment and clear, your looking at at least a few months for this.
It was found in this thread: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f32/cide...39/index2.html

Old 01-30-2010, 11:34 AM   #24
Mcduff
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by CandleWineProject View Post
Eh, you might talk to the mead forum then. Us cider people aren't really sure what to do with this request. I bet the mead people will. *tad bit drunk now*
This sounds like a wine since the OP is looking for something alcoholic. I don't think its mead. I believe mead is made from honey and not sugar.

Conditioning
none

On Tap
Keg1- EdWort's Apfelwein, Keg2- Blackberry Cider, Keg3- soda water, Keg4- Diet Coke, Keg5- Coke Zero

Old 01-30-2010, 02:55 PM   #25
david_42

Recipes 

Liked 141 Times on 134 Posts

Although the OP calls this a ginger beer, it is more of a cider. Cane sugar is fine, but Yooper is right in saying it needs something to provide other flavors. A pound of golden raisins, extra light DME or a can or two of white grape juice would be helpful.

But, if you want to follow an old recipe exactly, why not? I made some hop wine per an old recipe, nasty stuff, but I think the problem was using a modern hop, which made it really bitter.

"I would like to die on Mars, just not on impact." Elon Musk

Old 01-30-2010, 07:51 PM   #26
CandleWineProject
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mcduff View Post
This sounds like a wine since the OP is looking for something alcoholic. I don't think its mead. I believe mead is made from honey and not sugar.
True, but the mead people tend to work more with spices than the wine folks seem to. Yes, it is a different sweetener...

Point still stands - post either on the wine or mead forum, because us cider people are absolutely no help. We can't even point the OP in the right direction!

Old 01-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #27
chefmike
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 10

[QUOTE=YooperBrew;1848922]

You could try adding some golden raisins for flavor and body, and some white grape juice. When that ferments, it would leave some richness and body behind. I'd also add a squeeze of lemon or a teaspoon of acid blend. [QUOTE]

I think he said in the OP that he was adding lemon juice and cream of tartar.

I like the raisins / grape juice idea. I think it would fit well.
Building: gardens, recipes, and trailer mounted smoker/ wood pizza oven

Old 02-01-2010, 08:36 PM   #28
EricBlair
Recipes 

I make hard ginger beer a lot (have ten gallons fermenting at the moment, actually) and I use 7.5 lbs of corn sugar for a five gallon batch (typical SG is around 1.065). Your ginger beer should be fine.

My batches have come out to around 7% ABV, so I'm not sure if this falls under wine or cider, but regardless the stuff tastes great despite all the sugar. I used this recipe, but just added 1118 and let it ferment dry.

Old 02-02-2010, 04:26 PM   #29
Dionysos911
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricBlair View Post
I make hard ginger beer a lot (have ten gallons fermenting at the moment, actually) and I use 7.5 lbs of corn sugar for a five gallon batch (typical SG is around 1.065). Your ginger beer should be fine.

My batches have come out to around 7% ABV, so I'm not sure if this falls under wine or cider, but regardless the stuff tastes great despite all the sugar. I used this recipe, but just added 1118 and let it ferment dry.
That sounds exactly like my intent, except perhaps a little back sweetening. Glad to hear this recipe works out!