IBU commercial beers question - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > IBU commercial beers question
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 01-29-2010, 09:32 AM   #1
400d
Recipes 

Aug 2009
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I would like to know what IBU these commercial beers have:

1 Tuborg Lager
2 Erdinger Hefeweissen
3 Guinness
4 Beck's

I know that i probably won't get answers , but anyway...

Old 01-29-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3163 Times on 1871 Posts

Google is your friend. When I'm, researching I start with a basic search like "Beck's IBUs" Then I look the brewery website, most micro and a few macro breweries put all that info and even their complete grainbills or recipes in percentages right on their website. I also search for clone recipes online as well, they usually will be going by that info to create their clones, and may even mention or list the original beer's info, but if I find multiple clones and they all are hitting the same IBU's or og or srm, then I figure they had that info.

Also obviously the bjcp style guidlines will usually have the range of numbers for that particular style, and will list commercial examples of the beers, so you again will be in the ballpark

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 01-29-2010, 01:22 PM   #3
jdc2
Recipes 

Sep 2009
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400d View Post
I would like to know what IBU these commercial beers have:

1 Tuborg Lager
2 Erdinger Hefeweissen
3 Guinness
4 Beck's

I know that i probably won't get answers , but anyway...
According to Michael Lewis' book "Stout" in the Classic Beer Styles
series, Guiness is 40.5 IBU. Beamish is 38-40.
Jim

Old 01-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #4
Edcculus
Recipes 

Jun 2007
Greenville, SC
Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts

Most of the brewery websites will publish this info.