Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Are my grains crushed?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:27 PM   #21
mrgreen4242
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidSteel View Post
Definitely, I wouldn't have used them like that lol. I once read in my early-brewing days that one should only crack the grain. I don't really agree with that now & those barely look cracked. I would have rolled em pretty good.

Also, don't worry about the cap; you'll be good. It's nothing to stress out over. RDWHAHB
Ya, I gave them a good rolling and my steeping looked very dark and smelled very rich, so I think I had them crushed enough. I'm not too concerned about the cap. My hands were sanitized and cleaned and its not like the caps were covered in filth or anything.

My airlock had some gas in it this morning after just 6 hours, so I am hoping fermentation is taking off quickly and all is well. I think I need to more it somewhere warmer, though. It's winter here and it's by a window so the temp looked down around 63degrees? Too cold?

Old 01-29-2010, 04:37 PM   #22
wyzazz
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 45 Posts
Likes Given: 79

Not too cold, at the lower end of the temp range for Ale Yeast. I'm fermenting my IPA at 61* right now. I think it gives you a cleaner tasting beer.

And I'd like to see my 1.080 beers ready from grain to glass in a week, and served to me by red-headed twin penthouse pets wearing garter belts and fishnet stockings, with Irish accents, calling me "master luv gun," but we can't always get what we want can we? :)

Old 01-29-2010, 06:41 PM   #23
mrgreen4242
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyzazz View Post
Not too cold, at the lower end of the temp range for Ale Yeast. I'm fermenting my IPA at 61* right now. I think it gives you a cleaner tasting beer.
Thanks for the input. It should be warmer than that during the day when the temp kicks up a little (warmer outside and programmable thermostat) and not much cooler than 61 at night time...

Old 01-29-2010, 06:51 PM   #24
Jipper
Recipes 

Liked 46 Times on 41 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Be careful with that floating therm - we have stopped putting them in kits because they can break in the kettle, ruining your batch.

Old 01-29-2010, 06:56 PM   #25
mrgreen4242
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jipper View Post
Be careful with that floating therm - we have stopped putting them in kits because they can break in the kettle, ruining your batch.
Funny you say that, as I actually ended up much preferring the long "lab thermometer" in the kit. It was able to get a reading much, much fast and was easier to read.

Maybe I can send the floater back for a refund.

Old 02-03-2010, 06:05 AM   #26
mrgreen4242
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoppus_Poppatopolis View Post
Midwest has been a good supplier for me. I believe in giving people a chance to do the right thing. If they make good on your order, give them another chance. If they stiff you, you know what to do.
Well, Midwest hasn't even replied to ne yet... I will have to give them a call tomorrow, just so busy at work lately that it's a pain and frankly would rather deal with this via email - it's one of the reasons for doing business over the internet, I don't need to be free during the day. Definitely will not use their services again, though, regardless how this turns out.

The way I see it, they shorted me one item and blatantly lied to me to sell me another one, so ripped me of for about $7 (not the money that matters, but the principle). Plus failed to crush my grains and ignored my emails, which is just poor service.

At least my graff is bubbling along nicely, and smells awesome.

Old 02-03-2010, 07:12 AM   #27
z987k

Recipes 

Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Ditch the floating thermometer. And if you are just steeping the grains, hell it hardly matters if they are crushed at all.