Aeration - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Aeration

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2010, 08:41 PM   #1
ardentfrost
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 100


This weekend I'm doing my first full boil, which I'm happy about. However, in the past I aerated the liquid in the fermenter through a few different methods combined, including splashing the wort from the brew pot into the fermenter, shaking up any water additions prior to adding it, and shaking the whole fermenter if I felt the previous two weren't enough.

Since one of my two main methods goes away when doing full boils, I was sitting here thinking and remembered that I have an aquarium pump we bought a couple years ago and ended up not liking due to all the noise it created in the fish tank. So I just found it and now I'm wondering how and if I can use it for aeration.

Can I just connect a tube to it, weigh the tube down so it falls to the bottom of the fermenter, and just turn on the pump for a while? The thing doesn't seem very powerful, but I know people use these things for aeration.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:51 PM   #2
chode720
Recipes 
 
Feb 2009
Cleveland
Posts: 527
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Yes, a lot of people run aquarium pumps to aerate, its a pretty common method. Personally, I do full boils and still have success with my shake to aerate method.

Yes, you can probably just drop the tube in, but most people will buy a diffusion/carbonation stone (available online at most homebrew shops) to get it to bubble nicely. Also, since the pumps pushes air, you need an inline filter to sanitize the air, also available online. I know morebeer.com sells both, but Im sure many other sites do too
__________________

Primary1: Pumpkin Ale
Primary2: Christmas Ale
Pimary3: Apfelwein
Secondary: Sour Brown
Drinking: Warrior Pale Ale, Wit, American Rye

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:53 PM   #3
BioBeing
 
BioBeing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,520
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


People do use aquarium pumps with a 2 micron stone to make tiny bubbles that cause the oxygen to dissolve faster. It takes IIRC about 30 min to get 5 gallon aerated to about 8 ppm.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:56 PM   #4
ardentfrost
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by chode720 View Post
Yes, a lot of people run aquarium pumps to aerate, its a pretty common method. Personally, I do full boils and still have success with my shake to aerate method.

Yes, you can probably just drop the tube in, but most people will buy a diffusion/carbonation stone (available online at most homebrew shops) to get it to bubble nicely. Also, since the pumps pushes air, you need an inline filter to sanitize the air, also available online. I know morebeer.com sells both, but Im sure many other sites do too
Ah, sanitize the air, didn't think of that part. Ok, well, this weekend will be another shake brew, then

Thanks!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:57 PM   #5
ardentfrost
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by BioBeing View Post
People do use aquarium pumps with a 2 micron stone to make tiny bubbles that cause the oxygen to dissolve faster. It takes IIRC about 30 min to get 5 gallon aerated to about 8 ppm.
Whoa, 30 minutes?! And that's prior to pitching?

I guess I was expecting it to be faster.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 08:58 PM   #6
TipsyDragon
Recipes 
 
Mar 2009
California
Posts: 2,607
Liked 24 Times on 22 Posts


yes i use a fish take aerator all the time to oxygenate my wart. i would suggest getting new tubing and air stone. also get an inline air filter to prevent other contaminants from getting into your brew.

try this it costs $20

it doesn't actually take 30 minutes to reach 8ppm. it actually takes maybe 5 - 10 but the 30 is just to be sure.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:07 PM   #7
ardentfrost
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Atlanta
Posts: 100

Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
yes i use a fish take aerator all the time to oxygenate my wart. i would suggest getting new tubing and air stone. also get an inline air filter to prevent other contaminants from getting into your brew.

try this it costs $20

it doesn't actually take 30 minutes to reach 8ppm. it actually takes maybe 5 - 10 but the 30 is just to be sure.
Excellent, thanks! I'll get one of those as soon as the SWMBO gets over what I just spent to upgrade to all grain

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 09:11 PM   #8
MBasile
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
Austin, TX
Posts: 1,537
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TipsyDragon View Post
yes i use a fish take aerator all the time to oxygenate my wart. i would suggest getting new tubing and air stone. also get an inline air filter to prevent other contaminants from getting into your brew.

try this it costs $20

it doesn't actually take 30 minutes to reach 8ppm. it actually takes maybe 5 - 10 but the 30 is just to be sure.
Definitely going to have to get that before doing my next beer, which will be my first lager. I know I have an aquarium pump sitting around somewhere, I just didn't know how to use it properly for aeration.
__________________
Up next: beer
Fermenting: beer
Conditioning: and more beer

Total gallons in 2012: 10

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #9
Moose777
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Moose777's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Thousand Oaks CA
Posts: 498
Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts


I use the aeration stone connected to pure oxygen tank...available at Home Depot..
Usually only a few minutes of pure oxygen aeration is needed.
__________________
FERMENTER 1 EMTY
FERMENTER 2 EMPTY
SECONDARY

KEG 1: (ON TAP) Waldo Lake Amber
KEG 2 :(ON TAP) Imperial Stout
KEG 3: (ON TAP) Irish Red Ale [COLOR="Blue"]
KEG 4:(On Tap) Centennial Blonde
KEG 5: Creamy Bikini
KEG 6:

On deck:
Vanilla Bourbon Porter (for this winter)
Ed Worts Oktoberfest with Kolsh yeast Yummmy
Yooper Stone Ruination IPA

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 11:41 PM   #10
BioBeing
 
BioBeing's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Memphis, TN
Posts: 1,520
Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts


OK - 30 min was too long.

Quote:
An apparatus diffusing air into chilled (< 70 F/21 C) wort typically needs to run for a minimum of 15 minutes to achieve adequate oxygenation, where the same set-up using pure oxygen would require only a minute or two at the most to achieve the same result.
Link <-- read this for more background too.

I use pure oxygen too. Gets a higher ppm in less time.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Aeration TURBOANSARI General Techniques 14 08-02-2007 12:41 PM
Aeration kbesch All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 17 05-03-2007 05:02 PM
Aeration? GABrewboy All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 05-18-2006 04:43 PM
Aeration kit..?? Jester Equipment/Sanitation 6 05-15-2006 07:42 PM
aeration? cweston General Techniques 32 04-21-2006 02:17 AM


Forum Jump