Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Gluten Free Brewing > First Time Gluten Free Brew

Old 01-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #11
DKershner
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 26 Times on 22 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by midfielder5 View Post
hmmm... I'm not sure sugars do a very good job to mask sorghum. Sugars ferment out and are used to lighten the beer, dry it out and increase ABV. (see, belgian beer for example).
I do agree on the hops. i always add a s#&%t load
I have had good luck with getting some brown rice extract to hide it fairly well. And then using malto-dextrin to un-dry the beer.

Basically you are just using sorghum as LESS of the fermentables and stealing the enzymes from the sorghum to ferment the other sugars. So it's not covering the taste like buckwheat or hops, but never introducing it to begin with.

ON topic: Anyone have anymore good beginner recipes??

Old 01-28-2010, 11:31 PM   #12
midfielder5
Feedback Score: 6 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 70 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkershner View Post

Basically you are just using sorghum as LESS of the fermentables and stealing the enzymes from the sorghum to ferment the other sugars.
that is a good example! thanks.

Old 01-29-2010, 01:21 AM   #13
Lcasanova
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
I have had good luck with getting some brown rice extract to hide it fairly well. And then using malto-dextrin to un-dry the beer.

Basically you are just using sorghum as LESS of the fermentables and stealing the enzymes from the sorghum to ferment the other sugars. So it's not covering the taste like buckwheat or hops, but never introducing it to begin with.

I plan on trying to use 100% brown rice extract in a beer this summer to see how it compares to the others I've made thus far. I always use maltodextrin in my brews, but I didn't use it on my brown ale and it turned out fine.

For a beginner recipe...well- my first beer (after a crappy 1 gallon test brew) was the Brown Ale in my drop down. It has a lot of ingredients but it's pretty easy. I documented it in this thread here: http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f164/glu...wn-ale-140888/ shameless plug

I think spice beers turn out well with gluten free beers...

Old 01-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Every batch of GF beer I've done doing exactly that has been a great one. Every batch of GF beer I've not done that with has had some issues. A ration of 5 or 6 to 1 of Sorghum to Rice has proved to be the sweet spot for good beer.

Quote:
Here's one I really like, super easy & delicious. It's the simplest recipe I know that will still produce a great beer, it's similar in taste to Mirror Pond Pale Ale by Deschutes:

Fermentables:
  • 6 lbs Sorghum Liquid Malt Extract
  • 1 to 1.5 lbs (1 jar) Brown Rice Extract (I found it near the molasses in the grocery store)
  • 8 oz of maltodextrin powder

Boil water, turn off heat, add all extracts & powders, disolve completely, bring to boil again and start hops schedule.

Hops Schedule:
  • 60 min - 1 oz Cenntenial
  • 15 min - 0.5 oz Cascades
  • 0 min - 0.5 oz Cascades

Yeast:
  • White Labs WLP001 - will have about 2ppm of Gluten, safe enough for my wife, but not for every celiac)
  • Can use SafeAle - 05 yeast. Not as good of a flavor profile, but will be 100% gluten free
  • Also, since GF beer is low in FAN you will want to get some GF yeast nutrient such as di-ammonium phosphate.
Batch size 5.25 gal

OG ~ 1.054
FG ~ 1.013

Can leave only in primary if you want, since extract will produce little to no sediment. Wait 2 weeks or until FG is appropriate, then bottle or keg.

Really produces an excellent and clear beer.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 PM   #15
DKershner
Recipes 

I added yours aggieotis, it is very similar to mine, but a good addition nonetheless.

I think you started out a little more advanced than most of us casanova, I would like to keep these first timer recipes grain roasting free for now...if we can't come up with much maybe we can add em in.

Old 01-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #16
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcasanova View Post
I think spice beers turn out well with gluten free beers...
I think you are right, I have a nice pumpkin beer, but mashing a pumpkin might be a little too advanced for a first timer.

I wondering how your brown rice extract beer will turn out...I think you will really need the maltodextrin as the extract is very fermentable. Also, not to discourage you, but I think it qualifies as hooch unless you get some sort of grain in there...I would be interested to see how it turns out. You can always add maltodextrin later.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:01 PM   #17
anemic
Recipes 

I have a lager recipe which calls for 12.5 weeks and an ale which calls for 1.5 weeks. They don't say anything about racking into secondary. What would you recommend? please & thank you

Old 01-29-2010, 05:10 PM   #18
aggieotis
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
I have a lager recipe which calls for 12.5 weeks and an ale which calls for 1.5 weeks. They don't say anything about racking into secondary. What would you recommend? please & thank you
If your FG is down near where you want it then feel free to transfer to a secondary for lagering. Check out the opinion of somebody smarter though like John Palmer over at How to Brew (www.howtobrew.com)

Old 01-29-2010, 05:12 PM   #19
DKershner
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by anemic View Post
ale which calls for 1.5 weeks.
The ale can go right into the keg or bottles, but I would wait 3 weeks, not 1.5, just to be safe.

Old 01-29-2010, 05:15 PM   #20
DKershner
Recipes 

I added a 'where to find' section the to OP. I remember not having fun finding that brown rice extract. Let me know if you guys have other places or other ingredients that should be on there.