poison oak/ivy - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > poison oak/ivy

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-27-2010, 03:24 PM   #1
trailblazer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
murrieta
Posts: 233


so i was hiking the other day and now i have an outbreak poison oak. do any of you know the best quickest way to get rid of it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:27 PM   #2
jordanpace
Recipes 
 
Sep 2007
Posts: 240
Liked 15 Times on 3 Posts


get you some caladryl to dry it up

or just scratch it until you completely remove the poison ivy along with a lot of your skin

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:31 PM   #3
ThreeRatBastards
Recipes 
 
Jun 2009
St. Louis
Posts: 195
Liked 9 Times on 4 Posts


Poison Ivy creates an oil called urushiol, this oil bonds with the skin and causes the rash. Once it is bonded there isn't much in the way of over the counter solutions, other than to just wait it out.

Info here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urushio...act_dermatitis

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:33 PM   #4
arch1tect
 
arch1tect's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
NJ, NJ
Posts: 281
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts


Brillo + bleach.

The best thing to do is not get it. I keep a bottle of Tecnu laying around for any forays into the woods or weeding the gardens. I simply follow the directions on the bottle and the outbreaks are minimal at worst.
__________________
-Michael

NJ NYC Photographer

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #5
trailblazer
Recipes 
 
Jul 2009
murrieta
Posts: 233

i have it in the worst two spots....

i dont think i would want to scratch my skin off.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #6
netjunk1e
Recipes 
 
May 2008
Corvallis, OR
Posts: 105

http://www.zanfel.com/help/

No joke, it works. It is expensive, but it works. They have it at Rite-Aids if you have any of those by you.

I have used it many times, and most of the time it is better after one treatment, just follow the directions to a T.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:36 PM   #7
Houblon
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Hot & sticky Fla.USA
Posts: 706
Liked 17 Times on 16 Posts


Hot saltwater baths and apply caladryl as your drying off.
__________________
MyPics

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:37 PM   #8
llazy_llama
 
llazy_llama's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,839
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts


Best way: calamine lotion, available from any drug store.

Quickest way: sever the infected body part.

Happy to help.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #9
maida7
Recipes 
 
Nov 2009
Asheville, NC
Posts: 2,827
Liked 48 Times on 41 Posts


what's this got to do with beer?

Do not scratch, that just creates more damage. Wash regularly with poison ivy specific soap. Benedryl gel works great to stop the itching. It will go away in 10-14 days. So unless your covered head to toe, just wait it out.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 03:47 PM   #10
llazy_llama
 
llazy_llama's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2009
Rapid City, South Dakota
Posts: 2,839
Liked 90 Times on 28 Posts


Good point, this really should be in general chit chat, not beer discussion. I missed that the first time through.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catt22 View Post
I would never use a dead mouse in my beer. It's much better to use live ones. You could probably just steep a dead one, but live ones must be mashed. Actually, smashed and mashed would be best.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Did i just poison myself? Hooraybeer! Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 19 02-13-2008 03:41 AM
Diversol poison grasshopper1917 Equipment/Sanitation 1 01-31-2008 06:36 PM
Poison? Cellophane Mead Forum 3 08-31-2006 03:49 PM


Forum Jump