Irish Stout Irish Car Bomb Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ErikHoppy

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Partial Mash
Yeast
Nottingham
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
14 Days
Additional Fermentation
28 Days
Tasting Notes
This is a fairly sweet stout with an IBU similar to Guinness Draught.
5# Lite/Pale LME
1# Chocolate Malt
1# Crystal 60
8oz Flaked Oats
8oz Roasted Barley

1oz Fuggles Pellets (60min)

Nottingham Yeast

Steep the grains in 3 gallons water at 155 degrees for 30 minutes. Use cheese cloth or steeping bag. Remove grains and add LME and Fuggles hops. Return to heat, boiling for 60 minutes. Remove from heat, chill quickly and add 2 gallons cold water to assist chilling and achieve 5 gallon wort.

Transfer to primary, pitch yeast. Let this ferment for a good 2 weeks.

While wort is in primary, get real Vanilla beans, cut them the long way and then into 1/2" pieces, then soak them in 1-2 cups of Jameson (depending on how much you want the Jamie flavor to come through) shaking for ~30 seconds everyday for as long as your worts in primary. Letting it soak in Alcohol will release a lot of the flavors as Vanilla beans are soluble in alcohol.

After 2 weeks, combine the stout and vanilla whiskey mix into secondary and let it age for 2-4 weeks. With the added Jameson and vanilla, this is a fairly sweet stout with an IBU similar to Guinness Draught, but the added flavors from an Irish Car Bomb!

Voila!

Hey Erik - did you brew this? How were your results? Looking to brew this for a friend and I'm not too familiar w/ Irish Car Bombs..... I have no difficulty getting drunk so I've never ordered a drink w/ an extra shot in it ;)

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but I just wanted to say that I've got this going at the moment (kind of). I took the easy route, and picked up a Guinness draft clone recipe from Austin Homebrew, it's currently bubbling away in primary. I have a bottle containing 2 cups of Jameson and 2 tsp of vanilla extract (my grocery didn't have vanilla beans, probably negating the need to soak in Jameson, but I did anyway). Have there been any successes with this recipe? I'm debating adding some cocoa powder to simulate the chocolate flavor you get from a carbomb, but I think the malts in the Guinness might take care of it.

Alan - I'd sure appreciate any input you got once it's complete. I owe a buddy of mine some brew - and this was his request. I'm not a Carbomb drinker - so any help from your results would be greatly appreciated!

Hey guys,

I love the idea of an Irish car bomb beer! It would be perfect for our annual Irish Olympics in April (41 days away). A: is that enough time to make this brew work using a keg to force carbonate or does it need to age for a while to blend all the flavors? B: how authentic is the taste and how many batches have you made?

Thanks and I also found want seems to be a good reciepe for something relavant. It's from ModernlifeisANDY here and the recipe is below.

Notes: he has cut the coco in half and used 10 bags of peppermint tea instead of the mint extract. All the rest can be found on the thread.

I made this beer as an attempt to give myself something a little darker and flavorful for the upcoming winter, but my fear is that it won't last much past November! This is a delicious dessert beer - the peppermint flavor is mostly aroma with a tiny kick on the back end complemented well by some hop spice. The beer pours black with a nice half-inch head that laces well and looks like chocolate milk that you've shaken up. Mouthfeel is creamy and thick, with a nice carbonation cushion. I know that a lot of people don't like mint with chocolate or mint with beer, but it's worth it!

Andes Mint Chocolate Stout

8 lbs. Pale 2-Row (UK)
1 lb. Flaked Barley
0.5 lb. Carafa III
0.5 lb. Crystal 40
0.5 lb. Chocolate Malt
0.5 lbs. Rice Hulls

1.75 oz. East Kent Goldings (4.5% AA) 60 min.

8 oz. unsweetened cocoa powder (last 5 of the boil)
2 tsp. pure peppermint extract at bottling/kegging time

Mashed at 156 for 60 minutes, batch sparge to 6.5 gallons for the boil.

Pitched one vial WLP004 Irish Ale yeast, no starter (definitely make a starter if the yeast isn't super fresh, but mine took it down to 1.016 just fine).

Comments welcome!

Alan - I'd sure appreciate any input you got once it's complete. I owe a buddy of mine some brew - and this was his request. I'm not a Carbomb drinker - so any help from your results would be greatly appreciated!

Sure thing. I'm racking to secondary tonight (if my readings are good). I'm thinking the first weekend in April I'll crack one open, so stay tuned.

I would love to make this too, but. Definitely want to see how it turns out. Why does it always have to take so long?! Keep us up to date

I think this is prob gonna be my next brew.

Does anyone have any thoughts on adding a lil baileys in secondary? Or adding some lactose to the boil to get the cream aspect?

Prob gonna use wyeast 1084.

^ I'm a total rookie, but it's my understanding that adding Bailey's will curdle the mixture. That's why the Jameson/vanilla mixture is added, to simulate the flavours of the Bailey's, without actually adding it.

$0.02

Ditto on the curdle. If you let your car bomb sit too long, the baileys will curdle in your beer- i think its safe to assume that the same would happen if you added it to your recipe.

THis one sounds really freakin good. keep us posted.

So folks I couldn't wait any longer to hear how that previous recipe turned out as in 5 weeks we are having our Annual Irish Olympics so I had to get moving!

I took an all grain clone of Left Handed Milk Stout and tweaked it a tiny bit in BS for an extract brew. LHMS is one of my favorites and it's got a lot of depth in it. I taste a nice combination of a chocolate milk, roasted barley, tiny hint of coffee and nuts, maybe a illusion of Irish Cream Liqueur already there so in my book it's pretty close to an Irish Car Bomb but it just has a lot more flavor! It is "lacking" the Jameson so I will consider adding about 4 sticks of chopped and soaked vanilla in Jameson to the secondary.

Im just worried about having the vanilla or Jameson come through too much. Does anybody have experience with either of these in the secondary with a stout?

Here is the BS recipe:
Irish Car Bomb Milk Stout - Extract Converted - DME Base
Sweet Stout

Type: Extract
Date: 3/1/2011
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Brewer:
Boil Size: 3.25 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 60 min Equipment: Brew Pot (4 Gallon)
Taste Rating(out of 50): 35.0 Brewhouse Efficiency: -
Taste Notes:

Ingredients

Amount Item Type % or IBU
5.93 lb Dark Dry Extract (17.5 SRM) Dry Extract 55.56 %
0.66 lb Amber Liquid Extract (12.5 SRM) Extract 6.22 %
0.96 lb Carafoam (2.0 SRM) Grain 8.99 %
0.78 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.78 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7.27 %
0.58 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.45 %
2.15 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (60 min) Hops 18.5 IBU
1.43 oz Goldings, East Kent [4.00 %] (10 min) Hops 4.5 IBU
0.99 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM) Sugar 9.24 %

(1) White Labs California Ale WLP001*

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.066 SG
Measured Original Gravity: 1.010 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.017 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.005 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.43 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 0.65 %
Bitterness: 23.0 IBU Calories: 43 cal/pint
Est Color: 39.7 SRM Color: Color

Steep grains as desired (30-60 minutes)

*NOTES: LMK If you want my full notes but they are on paper so I would have to put into BS (I wish they had a good log and an Ipad app).

Actual OG: 1.072!
I did NOT do a starter and I am having thoughts I should add another vial of the yeast strain. Any thoughts here folks?

I would have done a starter. If you dont see any action by tonight or tomorrow morning, pitch again.

Keep us posted. I'm seriously thinking about this one.

Well, I'll continue my threadjack. Racked to secondary Friday, and added the Jameson & vanilla mixture (smells amazing combined). I took gravity measurements prior to adding the mixture, but now when I bottle in a week or two, how will I be able to calculate my final ABV? Would the added Jameson alter it at all, or am I overthinking it and the normal method of OG - FG * 131 be fine?

Bottled on Sunday. I tasted the beer, and passed some around to friends who were helping me. It tastes incredible. When tasting, you get the Guinness up front, then a hint of Jameson, and then a vanilla aftertaste. It wasn't quite what I was looking for, but it's very good anyway. I'll let you know in about a month what it actually tastes like.

baileys will def curdle, it does so just about instantly in an actualy car bomb. beer sounds extremely interesting.

I added a generic brand of Baileys to part of a batch of a Hefeweizen at bottling and it didn’t curdle at all. Don’t ask me why I did it but it came out pretty good. Maybe it’s because I didn’t add a whole lot but it was enough to change the flavor.

I added a generic brand of Baileys to part of a batch of a Hefeweizen at bottling and it didn’t curdle at all. Don’t ask me why I did it but it came out pretty good. Maybe it’s because I didn’t add a whole lot but it was enough to change the flavor.

interesting. what made you choose baileys to throw in? the milkyness throws me off. guess to cream up a hefe a bit would make sense

Figured I'd update you all. I have downed two bottles of this magical stuff. I didn't get the taste I was going for, so I was kind of disappointed by my first bottle. There wasn't any vanilla detectable, and the whiskey was so faint, the only way you'd know it was there is if you knew beforehand. I let a co-worker try a bottle, and he loved it. So I tried a second last night, without any preconceived notion of what I thought it should taste like, and he's right, it is pretty freaking good...

For the next batch, and for anyone interested, I'd say at least double the Jameson, and probably triple the vanilla for the desired flavor. I'm also toying with adding some cocoa powder in with the Jameson/vanilla for an extra flavor element.

I'm halfway through making a batch of this, and I'm very pleased so far! My OG and SG readings were very close to the original recipe, and looks like the stout alone will be about 6.3% ABV!

The initial stout recipe itself is a really thick, tasty brew, and I'm going to make another batch of just that as soon as I can get back to the shop for ingredients.

This was my second time using a carboy, and I wasn't sure what five gallons was supposed to look like, so I discovered when I transferred everything to my bottling bucket that I actually only made about 4 gallons, so that's a bit disappointing.

On the other hand, I prepared three cups of whiskey to add (I am a whiskey drinker, which is why this recipe appealed to me), so per bottle I should end up with nearly twice what the original recipe had. Patience is not my strong suit, so I'm not sure I'll be able to wait for two full weeks before I need to try this!

I don’t know if it stands true with this recipe but a little whiskey goes a long way. I bumped up the bourbon in a Bourbon Porter by just a tad and it took 7 months to mellow enough to drink.

Okay:

Had my first full bottle of this today, and it is simply amazing, easily the best beer I've ever tasted!

The stout is thick and chocolaty, and there's a nice whiff of vanilla each time you dive into the glass. It packs a major kick, and I estimate that, based on the number of bottles I filled, each bottle ended up with about .67 oz of whiskey in it! It is definitely stronger than your average stout, and frankly I think it's even stronger than an actual Irish Car-Bomb. I'm really looking forward to seeing how this ages over the summer, though I'll be surprised if my 36 bottles lasts that long...

;)

This recipe is a keeper, and is going to have to become an annual tradition around here.

I think the little jar I got at the grocery store had two long beans in it. I chopped them up pretty good before I added them to the whiskey, though, to maximize contact.

would you say that provided enough vanilla flavor? how much whiskey did you use? i am looking at going with 2 cups.

I'm thinking of making this but how much whiskey is 2 cups is it a ltr?

I'm gonna make this very soon using a Guinness clone and sum chocolate malt and was thinkin a ltre whiskey is this to much??

^ I'm a total rookie, but it's my understanding that adding Bailey's will curdle the mixture. That's why the Jameson/vanilla mixture is added, to simulate the flavours of the Bailey's, without actually adding it.

$0.02
baileys curdles in actual car bombs after a few minutes.

anyone using lactose and vanilla to do this?

I started a kit Dry Irish Stout yesterday and just picked up some oak chips and a vanilla bean to soak in the whiskey. I plan to add the whole thing to the secondary this weekend.

Is there an extract version of this somewhere? This sounds tasty! I guess I could take a Dry Irish Stout extract kit and make it work too.

Is there an extract version of this somewhere? This sounds tasty! I guess I could take a Dry Irish Stout extract kit and make it work too.

yeah you could pretty much use any recipe you want. I've heard of people being more successful using a clone of Left Handed Brewery's Milk Stout than Guinness clones.

Hey all!

I've been away from this forum for a few years, amazed to see some people have tried my recipe! So it's great to here such positive reactions from folks!

I currently work at Magic Hat and will surely attempt to persuade the head brewer to give this recipe a try on a small scale!

I am drooling over this.... Although I'd use Black Bush or straight Bushmills...

this is a rookie question but when you write 5# or 1# i am assuming you are talking about lbs correct?

Hopefully gonna brew it this weekend... Going to use pacman instead of Nottingham

E6DA394D-CA6A-4AAE-B042-C106A303D132-2240-000002E1D4E74DB3.jpg

Latest posts

Back